Vortex Optics new Razor HD 5-20x50mm riflescope

gr8fuldoug

Official LRH Sponsor
Vortex Optics new Razor HD 5-20x50mm riflescope was designed from the ground up to meet the needs of military and law enforcement precision shooters. Packed with more than a dozen unique performance and optical features, the Razor delivers superior ranging and accuracy at extreme distances—and absolutely reliable performance in the most demanding
shooting conditions.
With its 35mm one-piece tube machined from aircraft-grade aluminum, the Razor offers an incredible 36 mrad / 125 MOA adjustment range for windage and elevation; enough to accommodate for bullet drop at the most extreme distances. The optically-indexed lenses are precision-ground from XD optical glass and fully multi-coated with Vortex's advanced XR coating to deliver the highest level of edge-to-edge brightness, resolution and clarity obtainable with today's optical technologies. A unique, multi-element apochromatic (APO) objective lens virtually eliminates chromatic aberration across the entire field of view so targets can be more clearly defined at longer distances—and camouflage patterns more easily spotted and identified.
Ranging and accuracy at extreme distances is simplified with Vortex Optics proprietary new EBR-2 mrad reticle. Laser-etched on-glass and placed in the first focal plane, the reticle enlarges and shrinks with the target when zoomed so the scale remains in proportion at all magnifications. In addition, the subtensions on the EBR-2 mrad reticle match the subtension markings on the turrets to make range calculations and shooting adjustments faster and more accurate. The turret screws are ultra-precision machined from silicon-brass alloy and fitted with hardened steel turret pads that interface with a hardened steel ring on the erector tube. This patent-pending friction reduction system eliminates deformation, wear and galling of the erector screws. Vortex's proprietary RZR (Rapid Zero Return) Zero Stop mechanism stops the elevation turret
from dialing below sight-in range using a rotational-blocking steel design (patent pending) that's mechanically more reliable and accurate than other systems that block the vertical movement of the turret. The RZR Zero Stop is fully sealed from the elements—even when being set. Delivers
precise return to zero after temporary elevation corrections have been dialed without the need for the user to count clicks.
With generous 3.9 inches of eye relief through the entire 5 20X range of magnification, absolutely waterproof/dustproof/shockproof construction, and a hard anodized matte Stealth Shadow Black finish, the Razor HD 5-20mm riflescope truly represents the state-of-the art in combat-ready rifle optics.
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Riflescope
Dual Use for Shooting Tactical / Hunting
The Vortex Razor HD 5–20x50 riflescope is equipped
with the Vortex EBR-2 MRAD reticle.
Designed to maximize long distance shooting and ranging abilities, the EBR-2 MRAD reticle can be used to effectively determine ranges, holdovers, and windage and moving lead corrections. Ultra precision laser etching on the glass reticle ensures that mrad specifications can be kept to the tightest tolerances possible. The fine center crosshair subtensions on the EBR-2 MRAD reticle were carefully chosen to provide the optimum balance between precision aiming and low light visibility
MRAD Subtensions
The EBR-2 MRAD reticle is based on the milliradian (or mrad for short), a form of angular measurement. This measurement is similar in concept to a degree although much finer. A degree is 1/360th of a circle; a milliradian is 1/6283th of a circle. When used in a first focal plane riflescope (such as the Vortex Razor riflescope), the mrad subtensions of the EBR-2 reticle are valid at all magnification levels. This means the shooter can use the magnification level most appropriate for the situation and still have effective holdover and windage reference marks. This is extremely valuable in a high-stress situation, as the
shooter does not have to remember to set the scope to one particular magnification to get valid holdovers an action necessary with the more common second focal plane reticles. Most shooters are familiar with the minute-of-angle (MOA) system commonly used in hunting riflescopes. MOA measurements are based on degrees and minutes: 360 degrees in a circle, 60 minutes in a degree for a total of 21,600 minutes. When comparing MOAs and mrads, 3.44 MOAs is equal to 1 mrad. These angular measurements are used for ranging and to correct for bullet trajectory drop in riflescopes. Both milliradian and MOA measurements are effective for ranging and bullet trajectory drop compensation in reticle designs. However, the milliradian method used in the EBR-2 reticle has some important advantages over an MOA method. The primary benefit is that once learned, it is much simpler and faster to use. The milliradian system will also be very easy for shooters familiar with the metric system and for those shooters with previous training in using mil dot reticles.

Vortex seamlessly coming out of no where (as it seems to me) is starting to make a serious name for them selves! Looks like an unbelievable scope, love the lit mag ring and turret! I am assuming it was marketed to compete with S&B and other HIGH end long range scopes? Is the glass superior to NF and MK4's?

planning to buy the razor hd spotting scope and possibly the 5-20 scope, i have heard nothing but amazing reviews for the price. Supposedly the razor spotting scope will hold its own optically against scopes in the 2-4 grand price range

MSRP = $2499

Weight = 35.2 oz

Either one of these - alone - eliminate the scope from my further consideration.

I've had it with these heavy scopes. I can't drive up to where I hunt, and I'm not willing to pack this kind of weight with me in the form of a rifle scope.

Other than that, I'm a little surprised at the cost. Vortex must have pulled out all the stops with this one. Chances are it's one really heavy, but really nice scope.

Last edited:
MAP on the scope is $1999.99 and the 35mm rings are $199.99. Vortex shipped these to us yesterday. We are accepting orders that should ship beginning of next week

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.