Vortex, Huskemaw, Zeiss, or ??

pockets380

I still have yet to make a decision on a scope. Originally I was set on a Huskemaw, then the blue diamond came out and I wanted that. The price just went up and I'm really not sure I want to spend that much on it. After doing some research it seems like the later two might be good options. I've used the original Huskemaw and was pretty impressed. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience they would like to share on the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 and the new Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25. How do they compare to the clarity and function of the Huskemaw? From what I've read it seems like either one of these you get the same or better scope for the money compared to the Husky.

I have the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 and it is incredible quality for the money. I have no doubt the HD5 5-25x50 is just as good a scope.

I own a Vortex and 2 Zeiss 6-20x50 and the 5-25x50. I have never owned but have used a huskamaw side by side with my older Zeiss. In my opinion and thats all it is an opinion the other 2 are not in the same league as the Zeiss. The clarity is far superior and colors are more vibrant. The only thing, and I am digging here, that I can complain about the Zeiss is the crosshair is a little to thick for me. I truely believe the Zeiss Conquest is the best scope you can buy without going to the high end euros.

My Conquest 3-12x56 30mm has a German #4 reticle, and I agree, it is kinda overly thick.

However, the reticle is perfect (for me) on my 6.5-20x50. I don't like a paper-thin reticle.

That's what I was hoping not to hear, lol! I have been checking out the Vortex all day and am liking what it has to offer. Goblbustr, does your 5-25 Zeiss have the zero stop that only let's it go to a 16 moa turn? I was reading about that on a forum here. I like the moa wind holds on the Vortex. I would go with the rapid Z 800 if I decided on the Zeiss. It has the wind holds but only to 800. Past that I would dial for elevation and I guess wind too. Thanks for the info guys!

I've not heard a lot of bad things about either scope. Vortex seems to be a great company with quality products. Zeiss is just Zeiss! The name speaks for its self. I think the Razor is a bit out of my price range:) Anybody else?

Why not go with the Rapid Z1000 reticle?

If you want a Mil-Dot reticle for hold-over, in the Zeiss, you will have to get a 6.5-20x50 Conquest, as far as I know... I have not seen the HD5 with a Mil-Dot reticle yet...Just the Rapid Z and Rapid Varmint reticles.

I thought about the Rapid Z 1000 but the marks are more for a 308. I put the numbers in and it really didn't jive. I could always dial it, but then I have all that stuff taking up space in the scope. I think the horzonatal would still be good though.

i have a Zeiss 4.5-14 with the rapid z 800, and after getting all the info in the calculator on zeiss, and checking my drops out to 3ooyrds it was right on. havent had time to shoot longer yet to much mud. no the reticle is a little to thick for me also. might be looking for a vortex . i dont think they are going to offer the varmit at ziess. i called to see and the new HD5 scopes dont offer it
clem

I feel the husky has alot of proven technology that the other scopes tend to lack. The husky has a good windage reticle and is really user friendly. I would never choose the other over the husky but that is my opinion. I have never seen a ballistic plex scope work every where with any ease at all. 10,000 feet to 1,000. I can enter my info into my g7 rangefinder and do that. Just my opinion.

Not mentioned but just got my sightron SIII 6x24 LRMOA in the mail, have not even mounted it yet but man, I really like it so far. Glass seams good, exposed turrets feel good, yes time to mount and shoot it.

The seller for me was the subtensions on reticle. I own a 4.5-15 exposed turrent zeiss with mil-dot. Really like the scope, but zeiss corrected subtension at 10X great as long as you look up and make sure you are on 10X. and at ranges I'd like to use the mildot, I'd like to have the 14X, that and moa clicks and a mil reticle,,,,

Sightron, different story, subtensions are mapped, sim to the zeiss through powers but sweet spot is at 24X or bottomed out with one hand, no looking up,,,,each hash is 2 moa, moa reticle, turrets, that has alot going for it in my mind

I don't like the predetermined hash reticles, BDC, or leupold LR, too many variables there to call, would rather simply click, the nikon is not bad with their app, my 2c,,,,,,also way cheaper than the scopes mentioned, might have a zeiss on the block

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the scopes mentioned, but I have both the original and Blue Diamond Huskemaws. I continue to be very impressed and have high confidence with the Huskemaw's capabilities and reliability after a few years of heavy use. IMHO.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check out the Sightron. Greyfox, is the glass on the blue diamond noticeably better than the original? Is there any other differences besides the 4moa wind holds and the 8? Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.