Vortex elevation with 20 moa base question

upacreek

So I got a new to me scope. Installed it in place of my previous scope and tried to bore sight it. I found the elevation turret had 2 1/4 turns down and 1 rotation of elevation "up" adjustment left. So I ordered a 20 moa weaver base and rings. Took it out tonight and found after 8 shots I had my first hole on my 30" paper target. Should have bore sighted first, dumb me. I was just excited to shoot. When I was done I found the same results as with the standard base. Its possible the base was in the wrong package cause I bought it from a 'gun pawn shop" and it had been opened. I also found the windage came out 1 1/2 turns left and 2 1/2 turns right.
The scope I had been using was much closer to even than this. I ordered an new 20 moa base from an online store. It should be here next monday.

Am I expecting too much? Is this normal? I was hoping for MUCH more elevation than this.

My advice: never buy anything that's been opened; especially from a pawn shop or from anywhere that you can't return it. It's not uncommon for unscrupulous characters to buy a 20 moa rail, put the zero moa rail they don't want in the package, and return it for refund. - knowing that the dealer probably can't distinguish between the two. For that reasons (and othes) most of the shops I know won't accept returns on those kinds of items.
Without knowing which Vortex you have (there are dozens of different models) let's just look at generalities.
If your Vortex were a Viper HS 6-24x50 Riflescope you would have a total of 42 moa of elevation and windage; approx 21 moa (84 clicks) up and 21 (84 clicks) down from center.
With 12 moa per rotation of the turret your 2 1/2 turns would provide 30 moa and 1 1/2 turns 18 moa for a total of 48 moa. So you're either turning past the stops or you have another model Votex.
Turn the turrets to the end of their travel - DONT FORCE IT.
Count the rotations from one stop to the other and compare the results with the specs. for your scope. If you don't have the manual or spec. sheet you can find what you need here:

Vortex Optics - Riflescopes

Center the cross hairs and align the scope with the bore, then make your scope adjustments. A properly centered scope on a properly bedded rail will get you where you need to go. A slipshod job with either task will get you only more headaches.

Okay, so I think I have a bum scope. I received my new 20moa base. Installed it and was really close (2" @ 100). I picked up the scope at the Boise cabelas bargain cave at a discounted price. It was labeled "factory remanufactured".
So here are my results with a new 20moa base. I have 42 moa down adjustment available. 22 moa up adjustment left. I was also very meticulous about setting the base. It is as centered as possible. The results are within 2 moa of the last base. I have 17moa available right, and 28 moa available left. Tomorrow I am going to buy a new set of rings and install my old scope to see how it lines up.
This scope is a vortex viper 6-24X50. Vertical adjustment is in 1/2 moa clicks. Horizontal is 1/4 moa. The window turret has a cap.

Am I crazy thinking I should have a lot more adjustment "up"?

Well this might not be the best place to look for help with this, but here goes another chapter to the saga.
I purchased another set of rings today made by warne. I installed my other vortex scope and found similar results as I found at the beginning of this issue. The second scope has 24 moa up adjustment and 42 moa down. So here is my next question. Should I look for a 30 moa base? I mean seriously, if I have a zero base am I really going to have 4 moa up adjustment left? I have purchased 2 weaver rails and they both work the same.
As a side note I do know I was shooting between 19 and 21 moa at 1000yards last winter with my standard luepold base and rings.
At this point I think the scope is fine. I either have to live with this or get a new base. I am leaning toward a 30 moa base trying to get closer to center of rectical travel shooting at normal ranges.

Hate to ask this, but are you mounting the base correctly? As in thicker side to the rear?
Also, I personally am not a fan of weaver brand bases. Try a Warne or EGW one piece.

This is a one piece rail. On a Winchester the shape of the front is different than the back. There is no way to mount it backwards. I am going to order a warne base tonight. Trying to find a 30 moa base. Any good suggestions?

Not sure for Winchester. I'm mostly savage and the occasional Remington-based actions.
Does your scope appear to be pointed down up front when mounted? If yes, then you likely have an erector issue. Lucky for you, vortex cares. Give them a call and they will email or send a return shipping label(no shipping charge to you) and will fix you up quick, again no charge.

Last edited:
Seems no one has mentioned the Burris Signature rings with offset inserts yet...
They rings and a set of offset inserts will easily allow you to get 30 MOA with no need for a rail at all. Put a +20 MOA pair in the back and a -10 MOA pair in the front. This might be a good way to go. Starting to sound like your action maybe the issue. Maybe the back is way lower than it should be?

Sorry guys, at this point I am waiting for a new base. 2 weaver bases and I have the same (almost) up travel as with my luepold base and rings. I might try the burris rings. I have talked to vortex and after moving scopes around I don't feel this is a scope problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts