Void to fill in the Long Range Scope market

DJ Fergus

I've been looking for a scope up to 20x power, target or tactical turrets, decent moa reticle with 60 moa or more elevation that weighs 20 ounces or less. There's just not many options out there. I regularly see posts here on LRH for lightweight options. I did settle on a scope weighing 23.8 ounces that I bought and I'm going to use. It didn't have everything that most of my other scopes have but it didn't weigh 35 plus ounces either though like some of the others I have. It seems pretty obvious that just about anyone can make a scope that tracks well and returns to zero if they really want to but it's going to weight 2-3lbs. No big surprise anymore when a 2.5lb scope is tough, robust, holds zero and tracks good. I do have a couple old sightron big sky 6.5-20x50 that's 18 ounces and tracks like a hound with decent glass & 60 moa elevation but sightron discontinued those. The turrets could have been just a bit bigger on them also.

The zeiss v4 6-24x50 is about as close as you are going to get at 24 ounces I think. I have had 3 and they all track well. The new reticles are great.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a sightron siii 6-24x50 that has great glass & tracks good that weighs 24.6 ounces, but it sure would be nice to have several options with those same features in a sub 20 ounce scope.

Just seems strange when someone pays big money to get a lightweight stock, light weight action and then has to sacrifice on barrel weight to keep weight down, then puts a 35 ounce or heavier scope on that setup.
I don't disagree completely, but sometimes it's removing weight where it's not needed, and putting it where it is.
Not necessarily chasing "lightweight", but avoiding heavyweight.

Just seems strange when someone pays big money to get a lightweight stock, light weight action and then has to sacrifice on barrel weight to keep weight down, then puts a 35 ounce or heavier scope on that setup.
I get what you are saying. But even when we pay for a lightweight stock we cut something... even the fanciest long range type stocks - manners EH1, Ag Alpine hunter, etc. still aren't near as light as the basic sporter stocks. More features = more weight.

I guess my point is this, if a reputable scope manufacturer would focus (pun not intended) on building a variable power 20x long range optic that would track, have a reputation for tracking & no more than 20 ounces, they could sell a few of them.
Agreed.

Closest I have seen is the Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRP at 21.7oz. I believe they are now discontinued, and just cant bring myself to try one...

Agreed.

Closest I have seen is the Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRP at 21.7oz. I believe they are now discontinued, and just cant bring myself to try one...
I knew of that scope and it's weight is very appealing. I can't tell you how many times I almost bought one. I will end it with that. I don't want to start a war.

Agreed.

The issue I have with this scope (I had an older Vari-X III 6.5-20×50) is the high low end magnification and narrow FOV it allows. You better have a lot of practice with quick target acquisition for close and/or moving shots and be pretty instinctual with your shoulder and point.