Void to fill in the Long Range Scope market

I don't disagree completely, but sometimes it's removing weight where it's not needed, and putting it where it is.
Not necessarily chasing "lightweight", but avoiding heavyweight.
Exactly! If you get a rifle to light it could adversely affect one's ability to shoot it well. You need a little weight in your hand to shoot well, especially if the shot is off hand. Light is all fine and dandy for lugging around in the mountains but it isn't worth much anywhere else. My lightest rifle is a 270 win with a Luepold VX series on top of it. It comes in just under 8lbs total package. I barely even know it is there when hunting with it. A 7-8 lbs rifle or bow for that matter, is just about perfect for hunting purposes and maintaining the average shooters ability to shoot it well. Anything less and you begin to give up things that could really matter when the time comes to make the shot count. Just my opinion!

As far as a sub 23oz LRH scope goes that my be a stretch for the simple fact every feature you add adds weight and if you build it to light it may lack durability, something that is crucial for mountain hunting.

My option for a scope compromise, if weight is the crucial determining factor, would be one of the Luepold VX 5 or 6 series scopes. They have a few options that come close.

There's so many different scenarios that it's hard to nail down one combo that's the ultimate perfect for everything. Presently it's to the point of being able to micro specialize to a highly specific application if that's what a person wants to do. You can just about pick and choose where you want to sacrifice for weight savings in order to get the weight of an added feature you that you really want some where else. Alot of technology that's been around for a while has made it to the consumer market of this sport. Carbon fiber being one of those technologies. I am not advocating carbon fiber used in scopes because I have no idea of what ramifications that would have on functionality or if any advantage at all over aluminum. I do remember seeing some company that was using CF scope tubes awhile back. It must not have worked out, for whatever reason.

Everything is a compromise, especially in optics but that's where I don't mind the extra weight because the gains are worth the extra half pound, especially when the weight is towards the back of the rifle. I have a buddy obsessed with the lightweight titanium bug but he carries 10 rounds of 30 cal ammo that each weigh over a half ounce each(a 200 grain bullet alone is ~about half an ounce plus the shell and powder=~ one lb total), and he carries a key ring with a dozen keys and car remote with bottle opener that is ~8oz WTH ?
Why spend all the money on Ti and carbon only to offset it somewhere else.
I run 3 Marches on hunting rigs, VX6 isn't a bad choice either but I also run big, heavy ATACR's on guns I want a 56mm objective. As mentioned I think Swarovski has light weight options also.

I really like sightron. Alot of bang for your buck.
Yes ! You can make a zero stop for the older ones(shim under the elevation turret) and you can retro fit with a right/left windage knob instead of the 1-14 elevation knob they came with and add a triple stack elevation turret.
sightron.jpg
windage.jpg

The issue I have with this scope (I had an older Vari-X III 6.5-20×50) is the high low end magnification and narrow FOV it allows. You better have a lot of practice with quick target acquisition for close and/or moving shots and be pretty instinctual with your shoulder and point.

I too had several VX3's at one point. If I recall, it's not even a 3x erector actual magnification is 6.6-19.2 (I just checked). I know what you mean about the FOV - in many cases a guy might be further ahead with a good fixed 10x.

The other thing that annoys me about the vx3/mark 4 designs is the variable eye relief - it gets noticeably shorter as magnification increases.

For my scope shopping I made a couple of Scope Specs Lists.

I'm sorry to say that the 20x top end magnification is by far not as common as 16x or 24x.
I see the following models close to 20oz (and these are somewhat less $$ than S&B, Zeiss, & Co):

SFP:
Bushnell Engage 6-24x50 = 23.7oz
Hawke Airmax 30 SF Compact 6-24x50 = 23.6oz
Sightron S-TAC SFP 4-20x50 = 23.8oz
Hawke Frontier SF 4-20x44 = 20.6oz
Hawke Frontier SF 5-25x50 = 22.2oz

FFP:
Vector Veyron 6-24x44 = 20.5oz
Nikko Diamond FFP 30 6-24x50 = 24.0oz
Swampfox Patriot 6-24x50 = 24.0oz

With lesser top end magnification:
Discovery ED 4-16x50 = 22.1oz
Discovery VT-3 4-16x44 = 19.4oz
Hawke Frontier SF = 3-15x44 = 20.6oz
Hawke Airmax 30 Compact = 21.9oz
Bushnell Engage 4-16x44 = 20.1oz
Arken SH4 4-14x44 = 21.0oz

Find the two Scope Specs Lists attached below, each for a different magnification range. 😊

Matthias

Attachments

• SCOPE Specs Table. For 6-24x (5-25x) or 5-30x or 4-20x.pdf
    261.7 KB · Views: 92
  • SCOPE Specs Table. For 4-16x or 3-18x or 4-20x Scopes.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Recent Posts