VLD's

dancoman

These bullets appear to be very devastating to game, however, what's the meat damage like.

Not VLDs but Wildcat 200 grain 7mm ULD RBBTs out of a 7mm AM at just under 700 yards. Should be similar results. Bull elk, dropped on his nose and never twitched.;) Entrance shot
DSC01926Small.jpg

Exit and ended up in offside hindquarter.
DSC01930Small.jpg

Deer at just under 100 yards w/same combo. Great red mist effect. Exit view.
DSC03657Small.jpg

Shot another mulie at just under 900 yards with same combo. Spine shot, angled down through lungs and out lower brisket. Didn't have the camera that day but the exit hole was about the same as above. It took out about 4-5 inches of the spine, then the lungs and out the bottom. Bang Flop.:D

The results you could expect would probably depend on the manufacturer/jacket combo, velocity at impact, animal, size of animal and point of impact on said animal. Hit them in good meat and you'll ruin a lot of good eating with just about anything.

Only shot one animal with a VLD so far, and at a very close range. Black bear at less than 10 yards. Quite a bit of bullet destruction. The 210 VLD bullet completely shrapnelled within the first 12" of penetration. The bullet never exited and I never found any portion of the bullet or jacket large enough to weigh on my powder scale. Killed the bear pronto. Others have been satisfied with the VLD bullet and report complete penetration when impact velocity has been lowered due to longer range hits. I still wouldn't aim for the front shoulders based on what I saw. Stick it behind the shoulders through the ribs and lungs.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.