Vld target vs VLD hunting

If most shots are a 100 or less why would you pick a long range vid bullet?.
Sounds like a job for a bonded bullet or a monolithic bullet
Because there's a chance I could have an opportunity at a 500-700 yard shot. Also just for simplicity, bonded and mono bullets are expensive so I'm not going to go out and shoot a bunch of those bullets on a weekend for fun and poke holes in paper. It would be nice to be able to just have one load for a gun whether you are shooting game or paper.

Because there's a chance I could have an opportunity at a 500-700 yard shot. Also just for simplicity, bonded and mono bullets are expensive so I'm not going to go out and shoot a bunch of those bullets on a weekend for fun and poke holes in paper. It would be nice to be able to just have one load for a gun whether you are shooting game or paper.
The Kiss method works very well (keep it simple stupid)but with inflation the cup and core bullets are not that much cheaper than copper monos anymore compared to lathe turned projectiles.Then one must consider delivery time most CNC made projectiles will be shipped to your door very quickly.

This is why my long-range rifles all have a 200 yard zero whilst they must be zeroed perfectly if I'm walking in walking out short-range shop presents itself I just drop in a hunting round in and let it fly , short-range does not matter if it shoots 2 inches away from point of aim at 200

Anyone used VLD targets on game? Particularly deer and elk? Gun would be a 28 nosler with a 1in8.4 twist going roughly 3100 fps.
I use the 155 vld in my rem 700 308 with a max load of accurate 2520 of 47.5 grains the book list it ar over 2900 fps, shot a white tail buck at 250 yards high double lung DRT no tracking necessary

Thank you all for the replies i was also able to run down the hybrid target 180's on midway and will either use the hybrid target or vld targets in 180 grain i am thinking.

I use the 155 vld in my rem 700 308 with a max load of accurate 2520 of 47.5 grains the book list it ar over 2900 fps, shot a white tail buck at 250 yards high double lung DRT no tracking necessary
That should say VLD target I have some of the 155 VLD hunting but haven't tried them yet

215 Hybrids out of my 300WSM kills em dead every time as long as I do my part. out to 350 yards none left standing. Longer distance when the shot presents itself.

EDIT
My muzzle velocity is 2810 fps, 2775 to 2400 on impact for 35-350 yards. shortest kill 35 yards, exit hole baseball size, drt. Most exits in the distances I have shot are tennis ball to baseball size exit holes.

Last edited:
I have used 75 grain VLD target bullets to take several antelope and deer with 8 twist 220 Swift and 22-250 rifles. The most steps any have taken is one before piling up. The bulk have just hit the turf. All were shot in the ribs at various distances.....

What's average impact velocity with the Berger bullets? What's the highest and lowest impact velocities have you shot? I hunt mainly woodland where a lot of shots are under 100 yards, so impact velocities are high and I'm worried bullets will blow apart.
MV between 2770 to 3310fps depending on rifle.
Shot distances between 45 and 1387 yards.
Impact velocities (estimated since I didn't put a chrono in front of the animal before I shot) between 1880-3135fps.

MV between 2770 to 3310fps depending on rifle.
Shot distances between 45 and 1387 yards.
Impact velocities (estimated since I didn't put a chrono in front of the animal before I shot) between 1880-3135fps.
Thanks for the info and best guesses on impact velocities. I have been using the eld-x bullets the last two years and just haven't been overly impressed with them. Most shots have been under 100 yards and seems like I get a lot of bloodshot meat and not a single one has been DRT, all with heart/long shots.

Thanks for the info and best guesses on impact velocities. I have been using the eld-x bullets the last two years and just haven't been overly impressed with them. Most shots have been under 100 yards and seems like I get a lot of bloodshot meat and not a single one has been DRT, all with heart/long shots.
If most of your shots are under 400 yards and you are concerned about "blood-shot" meat, I'd switch to a harder bullet. Something like a bonded bullet or one of the many mono's.

If most of your shots are under 400 yards and you are concerned about "blood-shot" meat, I'd switch to a harder bullet. Something like a bonded bullet or one of the many mono's.
That's my intention, I'm trying out some hammers this fall, but still trying to learn and find out what works for other people. And like I said earlier, having a "hunting" load with a mono or bonded that are more expensive usually, creates a dilemma of having two separate loads and two separate zeros and two separate POI. It would just be simpler if I had a single load.

If you are lung/heart shooting them, you shouldn't be concerned with bloodshot meat unless you are saving the scrap rib meat.

Also, typically unless your shorts are high in the lungs, you won't get many bang flops with rib shots. If you are looking for DRT, it sounds like shot placement needs to be changed more than bullet. I'm not a huge Hornady fan. However, I bet if you put that shot on the shoulder or at least much further forward, you will get more DRT. A mono in the shoulder would probably give you some DRT and less meat damage.

Good luck,
Steve