VLD Seating Stem

General RE LEE

For you folks that load VLDs did you modify or get a custom seating stem for your dies? I'm waiting to get a custom stem from Lee Precision for .284 180 grain VLD. I'm going to see if the 168 grain will fit the stock seating stem today. I'm itching to load some 7mm STW.

For you folks that load VLDs did you modify or get a custom seating stem for your dies? I'm waiting to get a custom stem from Lee Precision for .284 180 grain VLD. I'm going to see if the 168 grain will fit the stock seating stem today. I'm itching to load some 7mm STW.
I use Redding dies and I have never had a problem Seating VLD bullets

I used a vld stem when I was using a standard seating die with 180's in my ST. I no longer use 180's or a regular seating die. Going to a Redding competition die set has been the best money I've spent since I started reloading for the 7stw.
075B6179-94FE-4169-90B5-32A96F023B0D.jpeg

If you have a seating stem that has the tip of the bullet hitting before the wider portion of the cup, there is a simple fix. Using a small bit drill out the center of the stem! You don't have to go very deep to make it work.

Use of a lathe would be best but a drill press would work, heck a hand held power drill would work too. All it will do is remove the portion where the tip hits. Cost is FREE.

If you have a seating stem that has the tip of the bullet hitting before the wider portion of the cup, there is a simple fix. Using a small bit drill out the center of the stem! You don't have to go very deep to make it work.

Use of a lathe would be best but a drill press would work, heck a hand held power drill would work too. All it will do is remove the portion where the tip hits. Cost is FREE.
I tried this the other night I set it up in my little mill started out with a small bit it still hit ended up using 4 different bits the last one was almost as big as the hole in the stem and the bullet still rocked around in it so I took a bullet chucked it up in a drill put lapping compound on it and spun it in the seating stem it still rocks around this was for a 22 creedmoor if I drilled it out bigger it would have ruined it but I do think you can take a caliber size bigger stem like I took a 243 stem and the bullet just rocked on the tip I think you could deepen it and get buy for the 22 but I did find some vld stems at powder valley might be easier to try there. David

I had a issue with them sticking slightly in the seating stem. i had some small emery stone countersinks that I used with lapping compound and it resolved the sticking issue.

My Redding competition seater for my 6.5x285 leaves a "ring" around the 156 EOL bullets. They still shoot well. But ordered a VLD seater for the Redding set. My Forester micrometers, in a variety of cartridges, have never given trouble with VLD bullets....

I've debated the idea of lapping the stem to a given bullet, with a drill press. But I worry that one could introduce some variation which could in turn affect the concentricity of the loaded cartridge. Perhaps lapping with a lathe would avoid this. But I don't have a lathe.......

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts