VLD seating depth

Where do you guys seat your vlds in relation to the lands? I usually like to seat about .015 off the lands, btu ive been reading about people having the best luck jammed into the lands, suggestions will be appreciated.

I seat mine about 100 long and then jam the bolt shut to seat the bullet the rest of the way. Don't open it then though or you'll find the bullet stuck and the powder all over the receiver.

I found that VLD design custom bullets seem to shoot best anywhere from .010 to .040 in the lands. I normally start way in and work back out. Sierra bullets seem to shoot best just kissing the lands. That is a generalization and your gun might be different.

BH

Usually just touching, or .005" to .010" into the lands.

One exception to this is a Berger .224" 70gr VLD. It tolerates jump extremely well & groups tight in 223 seated out to magazine length.
wink.gif

I seat my 115 Berger VLD's in my 25-06 to touch the lands, alot of times if I close the bolt, and open it, powder spills everywere, I go coyotes hunting, and leave the bolt open some, if I see one out there, I close the bolt quietly.... BOOM!

I missed one this year doing this, when with a friend to his spot... I didn't get a chance to walk off fields, so I had no real idea of the distance, and don't have a range finder yet...
Seen one out to what I thought was 300, on my portable bench rest that is steady enugh to pick water jogs from 400 yards. so I had a good steady shot.. BOOM !!!... Coyote trots away ..
I MISSED..
Walked it off, and 450 paces...
I have my rifle set in at 300, so it drops 9 inches at 400, and 14-15 at 450, so even if the yote was 400, it would have went under his belly 1-2 inches..
Anyway, Those long heavy VLD's might only leave at 3100 fps, but they are acttually traveling faster at 300-400 yards than a most 22-250's are, matter of fact, a 22-250 with a 45 grain load my friend uses leaves his muzzle at 4000 fps, by 200 yards, my slow 3100 fps muzzle 115 VLD is already faster just by 200 years... I love those VLD's.. at ranges where your going to be hunting (no animal is going to come up to your muzzle anyway) they have more velocity than anything... more velocity =
more hpershock, = more clean kills.
Sorry for the long one... just those VLD's are awsome.

scott

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.