VLD in a 700 magizine

porkchop401

Fellas , I am wanting to try berger bullets for my REM. 700 in 7mm REM. mag..
My question is this, in typical 700 LA chambered for 7mm rem mag is it possible to load the 168 vld in a length that will shoot accurately and still allow use of the magazine ?

I have read about the 168 grain classic hunter and have read that it is intended for use at ranges under 450 yds. Now I am aware that 1800 fps is the cut off mark in terms of ethical killing power and bullet performance. Now in 168 grn 7mm modles there is only 13 BC points difference in the classic hunter and the vld favoring the vld. , so sombody please tell me why the classic hunter would not be basically just as effective as the vld provided they were just as accurate .

This past elk season it became evident that I needed a better performing projectile for the 7 mag .

My question is this, in typical 700 LA chambered for 7mm rem mag is it possible to load the 168 vld in a length that will shoot accurately and still allow use of the magazine ?

I have read about the 168 grain classic hunter and have read that it is intended for use at ranges under 450 yds. Now I am aware that 1800 fps is the cut off mark in terms of ethical killing power and bullet performance. Now in 168 grn 7mm modles there is only 13 BC points difference in the classic hunter and the vld favoring the vld. , so sombody please tell me why the classic hunter would not be basically just as effective as the vld provided they were just as accurate .

This past elk season it became evident that I needed a better performing projectile for the 7 mag .

Maybe you got it confused with the 168 SMK being a 300 yard target bullet.

You should be fine. I have loaded the 168 and 180 VLD in 7mm Sendero's many times and could get to the lans if desired.

Jeff

The link posted is where I read it , no mention of a sierra match king ! I see no reason it would not perform fine if it will open up at the lower velosity's of extreme range . I have read about the vld's being tough to get to shoot accurately. Just hoping to find a bullet that would perform like the VLD with out the possibility extensive load development or my inability to make it shoot accurately.

You should be fine. I have loaded the 168 and 180 VLD in 7mm Sendero's many times and could get to the lans if desired.

Jeff

Sweetness. I shoot a 7mm RM Sendero and was wondering if I could shoot the regular VLD's or needed to shoot the Hybrids. I would profer to shoot the orginal VLD's if I can, may as well get ever last bit of advantage in BC as I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.