VLD (hunting) ?

25 Otter

I'm not real well read on the whole Berger thing. I've seen the usual threads and such. Most based on the belted magnums. I have a 7 Rem Mag here. It's a T3 Tikka though,and not overly blessed with mag length. On the other side of the safe is my long action M700 custom 284 Win. It has a goodly amount of mag length,and a throat to go along with it. If you were me,and wanted to try a box of hunting VLDs,which weight would you start with? Mule deer / Whitetail would be the likely quarrywith the potential for Elk given the right circumstances. Thanks a bunch.

I use Berger VDL hunting 115gr in my 6-284 with great success--they preform well on game and are still precision shooters for long range....

I'm not real well read on the whole Berger thing. I've seen the usual threads and such. Most based on the belted magnums. I have a 7 Rem Mag here. It's a T3 Tikka though,and not overly blessed with mag length. On the other side of the safe is my long action M700 custom 284 Win. It has a goodly amount of mag length,and a throat to go along with it. If you were me,and wanted to try a box of hunting VLDs,which weight would you start with? Mule deer / Whitetail would be the likely quarrywith the potential for Elk given the right circumstances. Thanks a bunch.

I use the 168 in my 7mag.

Would the classic hunter be better suited to the taking of game than the VLD?

After seeing the fragmentation of the super accurate Berger VDL's on targets, I would not use em on game I intend to eat because, of lead getting in the blood stream/meat. The lead powder is all over the targets. They do shoot better though.
This is just my 2 cents. Try a bonded bullet, like an accubond for game.

I just feel better about feeding my kids that way...

BTW I still buy tons of berger vdls and love em.

Last edited:
I use Berger VDL hunting 115gr in my 6-284 with great success--they preform well on game and are still precision shooters for long range....
I have 3 6x284's never tried the 115, what are you getting vel. and load data?
MIke

After seeing the fragmentation of the super accurate Berger VDL's on targets, I would not use em on game I intend to eat because, of lead getting in the blood stream/meat. The lead powder is all over the targets. They do shoot better though.
This is just my 2 cents. Try a bonded bullet, like an accubond for game.

I just feel better about feeding my kids that way...

BTW I still by tons of berger vdls and love em.

With every one I used on deer, there was definitely lead splattered ALL in the blood. Crazy thing though, the only flowing blood was flowing out on the ground. I don't drink blood so I am all good! Do you know how much and how long the lead would have to be in the blood to contaminate the meat?? I have heard a lot of reasonable arguments against the VLD Hunting, and I sincerely mean no offense, this is not the first time I have heard it, but this is the worst.

I don't believe the fragging does nearly as much damage as the shockwave that comes with the point the bullet starts to shed weight, all of mine have been pass throughs with HUGE (fist size and bigger) exit wounds. Had to be a substantial shockwave. I am not trying to convince you though. To each his own, there are a lot of other types that work VERY well too. That's why they make different kinds. If they made one type and said "it kills good enough" we would all be bitter even if we agreed.

Just wanted to give OP something to consider when choosing a VDL.
Lots of pros and cons.

If fast kill and LR accuracy are your priorities the Berger VDL's are king.

Happy Hunting:)

Lots of good feed back here. I'm not sure the Berger is what I'm looking for for a game bullet. Lots to consider for sure.

I have been using the Berger hunting VLD's in my 6.5x284 with numerous deer szed animals taken from 50 yards to 1000(998) yards. I have gotten 1" entrance, 2-3" exits on all shots, and major internal damage. All animals were dead in their tracks. I haven't experienced any bits of anything other than occasional pieces of jacket material, no different from any other bullet. Its the best bullet I have ever used for long range shooting. I know many hunters that have seen the same results. If long range shooting is your goal, I would try the 168 Hunting VLD's, if your rifle's twist rate is compatible. I wouldn't necessarily write off the short magazine length on the 7mm Mag. I seat my VLD's well off the lands and get excellent accuracy and ES.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.