VLD bullets vs Elk shoulder bone

215 Hybrid @ 3100fps mv at 432 yards on a bull elk. Broke both shoulders and shattered a vertebra. Worked just fine. Stopped under the offside hide. Not all results are typical. Some better than others. Use enough bullet. A 6.5 140 is marginal.on elk in my personal opinion. Especially if you hit a leg bone. Tough to beat proper shot placement. Even with a big magnum, but especially with a lighter caliber and bullet weight.

This is exactly why I won't shoot them at game. In larger/heavier caliber loads the loss of over half the bullet's weight may not make a whole lot of difference but that kind of loss in smaller high velocity rounds leads to a lot of wounded game running off and suffering.

Heavy for caliber nosler partition bullets or barnes ttsx have always worked for me. I tried the nbt years ago. Worked good on deer, but failed on a 275 lb hog. Had to give him the shot behind the ear
NBT's running over 2850fps are flying bombs. Never saw one exit the rib cage even on a decent sized WT Buck.

You're right about the nbt. Tapered heel bullets (boattail) have a problem with spitting their cores when impacting.
Hope this new generation of shooters has better luck with them than i had. .
The trouble is that they perform exactly as designed. They were never made for shooting anything other than light bodied game, varmints, and predators.

Even on big hogs if you could get it into the chest cavity they'd turn everything into jello but I saw more than one boar run 300-500yds or more after being fatally hit with one and still be able to fight when we and/or the dogs got to them.

My brother shot an antelope in Wyoming last week with the 215 hybrid. Muzzle velocity was about 2980. The only bone it contacted was a rib. It did not exit.

I love shooting bergers because they are quite often the most accurate bullet I test. But I have grown to like the terminal performance of Barnes and accubonds better. I like to blow holes all the way thru things.

Who shoots an elk in the elbow and expects to collect it? I don't care what your shooting, 50 BMG included, elbow shots aren't going to have a good ending. VLD bullets will defeat an elk shoulder blade, or a rib, or a vertebrae, which is the only type of bones you should be hitting if you expect to collect your animal.

Who shoots an elk in the elbow and expects to collect it? I don't care what your shooting, 50 BMG included, elbow shots aren't going to have a good ending. VLD bullets will defeat an elk shoulder blade, or a rib, or a vertebrae, which is the only type of bones you should be hitting if you expect to collect your animal.
The elbow and just above puts it through the heart or at the heart/lung junction.

Pretty safe shot as you're likely to get the lower lobes of the lungs at the same time.

The elbow and just above puts it through the heart or at the heart/lung junction.

Pretty safe shot as you're likely to get the lower lobes of the lungs at the same time.

Yes, if you are shooting uphill or at close range. If the bullet is on it's way down it's too risky.

I haven't shot an elk yet but after I think I'm going to go double lung from now on on all game. My 45-70 for walking in the woods and a 178gr-210gr in my 06 until I decide I need something bigger. I love eating the heart, and I don't want to ruin the shoulder. This is after decades of talking to people who have been there, done that. And hearing both sides of the argument.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.