VLD Bullet Stabilization and a Short Range Shot

Jeff W.

I'm trying to get up to speed on long range hunting. I'm a big Berger fan and think they've really led the way with VLD bullet technology. I've seen several posts on this forum that suggest it takes a certain distance before a VLD bullet stabilizes. If that is true, what happens if you are getting in position for a 600 yard shot on an elk and a "once-in-a-lifetime" trophy steps out unexpectedly at 75 yards? Is the VLD going to be accurate/stabilized sufficient to get the job done? I'm just wondering if there are any short range concerns when hunting with VLD's.

Please feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood this issue.

Thanks.

I'm trying to get up to speed on long range hunting. I'm a big Berger fan and think they've really led the way with VLD bullet technology. I've seen several posts on this forum that suggest it takes a certain distance before a VLD bullet stabilizes. If that is true, what happens if you are getting in position for a 600 yard shot on an elk and a "once-in-a-lifetime" trophy steps out unexpectedly at 75 yards? Is the VLD going to be accurate/stabilized sufficient to get the job done? I'm just wondering if there are any short range concerns when hunting with VLD's.

Thanks.

If the barrel has enough twist to stabilize the bullet at all, you are good to go from the muzzle out. All that is happening is a tiny yaw or lack of alignment at muzzle exit is damping out with time and distance. At 75 yards any nutation will make such a small difference in POI you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a big game animal.

In other words, take the shot! :D

Fitch

I agree with Fitch take the shotgun)
I have been useing bergers for a couple years now and also love them. I have not been able to shoot anything under300 yards so i cant tell you how they do on game that close but i can tell you that i trust them enough to use them where i hunt and shots can be from 10 yards to over 600yards. I have no doubt in my mind they will work or i would not use them.:D

Thanks.

You bring up an interesting question and Fitch's reply is baiscally right.

Having said, some high BC bullets requiring a tight twist will stabilize for hunting purposes, further down range in a barrel with a "borderline" twist rate. For example the GS HV 177.... For general shooting and hunting beyond 500 yds the manufacturere recommends a twist of 11 (SF 1.1). For hunting inside of 500 yds a twist of about 9.25 (SF 1.4) is recommended. I assume this is for terminal performance stability so the bullet will not tumble and remain in a straightline path through the game animal.

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Maybe Bryan Litz can shed some more light on the subject. But to the main point of pitch and yaw, I dont think that is really related to bullet "stability" in general.

-Mark

Have seen about a half dozen elk and at least that many deer taken under 75 yds. (280AI w/168 VLD's) that went into the freezer. Hit them in the right place and from my experience there is no problem. I think the short range myth on the Berger VLD's is nothing but somebody with no experience with them or is just hypothizing. In addition I've taken a number of elk with Barnes X and triple X at close range in years past - enough said - I'm shooting Bergers. Keep in mind I said "HIT THEM IN THE RIGHT PLACE". The threads I've read on this subject usually are written by someone who is POSITIVE they made the hit in the right place but the animal still gets away - I haven't seen that as of yet. My sons and I bone everything out right at the gut pile and with the amount of damage that the VLD does at close range I can't imagine losing an animal. Close range and VLD's are not a concern to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.