vld berger reloading dies question

harleybug

So im trying to get all set up to reload for my 7mag and im trying to figure out what dies i need for 180 vlds. I see that redding makes the micromiter bushing that threads into the top of the die. Will it work on rcbs dies, or should i order the redding dies. Then do u have to by the plunger in adition. Or does any micromiter die work. I read that the micromiter dies were not made for compressed loads, is this true because im planning on using retumbo in my 7mag with 180 bergers and it calls for 104% fill. Can u buy a complete seating die for vlds. Please help im having a hard time figuring this out. Is the rcbs dies ok to use, what kind of experience do u have with them.

I ran across this same issue with loading VLDs for a 25-06. The redding Micrometer will screw into a RCBS seating die but wouldn't adjust far enough down. However, I dug around and found an old Lyman seater die that works with tha VLD without the redding seater, run out was decent.

So im trying to get all set up to reload for my 7mag and im trying to figure out what dies i need for 180 vlds. I see that redding makes the micromiter bushing that threads into the top of the die. Will it work on rcbs dies, or should i order the redding dies. Then do u have to by the plunger in adition. Or does any micromiter die work. I read that the micromiter dies were not made for compressed loads, is this true because im planning on using retumbo in my 7mag with 180 bergers and it calls for 104% fill. Can u buy a complete seating die for vlds. Please help im having a hard time figuring this out. Is the rcbs dies ok to use, what kind of experience do u have with them.
harleybug,
Forster seating dies are the only dies that I know of that come standard with a seating stem that works with our VLD bullets. Redding and L.E.Wilson sell replacement VLD seating stems and micro tops that can be retro fitted to their dies. RCBS as far as I know has nothing like this. The Redding micro-top replacement for the standard seating dies will work in older RCBS dies. or dies with 1/2-20 threaded seater plug assemblies. Hope this helps!

Get the Forster, great dies and not that expensive. I use their FL sizer dies and have them honed to my brass.

harleybug,
Forster seating dies are the only dies that I know of that come standard with a seating stem that works with our VLD bullets. Redding and L.E.Wilson sell replacement VLD seating stems and micro tops that can be retro fitted to their dies. RCBS as far as I know has nothing like this. The Redding micro-top replacement for the standard seating dies will work in older RCBS dies. or dies with 1/2-20 threaded seater plug assemblies. Hope this helps!

I'll have to take issue with that. I use an RCBS Gold Medal micrometer seater die, in fact I use the same seater die across all my calibers...223, 308, 6.5 and 338 by interchanging the seater stems and shell holders (if it needs an extended shell holder for a short case). No issues whatsoever, in fact seated pills are always within 0.001-2 in concentricity checked on a Sinclair runout gage with a Starrett dial indicator.

I have a couple Redding dies but I prefer RCBS bushing dies or Whidden for location concentricity of the sizing stem, my preference only on dies but the GM Micrometer seater is very versitale.... and in actuality, you only need one unless you are loading 50BMG, then the standard GM Seater won't work. I don't.

If I could seat my pistol pills with it, I would...lol I'm glad a pistol has a forcing cone to align the bullet when it leaves the brass....

If you have the RCBS dies (or any die) already, take the stem out of the die and put a bullet into the bottom of it. You will know pretty quickly if the tip of the bullet is "bottoming out" inside the die (bad) or if its cupping over the bullet ogive (good). I've have heard of people having good luck with the standard stems but I've also heard of problems with inconsistent seating depths because of the stems too. If you're looking for a new die, I'd look at Forster. Comes ready to go with a VLD compatible stem (no need to buy extras like Redding or Wilson). Lots of good options out there though.

Probably the underlying reason why I prefer the RCBS GM Micrometer seater die besides the readily accessable and readable micrometer dial is the fact that it's top/front load. Thats real important when you are old like me and have arthritic fingers that don't want to get pinched feeding a pill from the bottom side.

Just drop them in and seat.

RCBS or Forster micrometer. All high guality dies work. With long VLD.s maybe you must drill space for nose of bullet. Its easy and harmless prosedure. Dont use too big drill...lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.