VLD 6.5, saboted up to 7 feasible, or even possible?

Maybe I should simplify all of this by asking the question: Why is there no sabot available for shooting a 6 or 6.5 slug out of a 7 barrel, like there is for shooting a .44 slug out of a .50 caliber muzzleloader? I don't own a muzzleloader myself, due to the higher level of maintenance (cleaning, etc) required, but I was shooting one yesterday, and apparently, IT IS THE COMMON PRACTICE to shoot .44 hollow points out of the .50 caliber bore, using the plastic (shotgun-like) sabots. They ARE very thin on the sides, UNLIKE the accelerator type, which are very thick. I am of the belief that it is in the thickness of side parts of THOSE sabots is where the accuracy is lost.

Does anyone have any info on how the accuracy of the saboted .44s stacks up against the full .50 caliber slugs, out of the muzzleloader?

I thought they removed "Accelerators" and that set up for legal reasons....long time and brain is foggy.

not sure but my theory has to do with the ability to fingerprint the projectile to the firearm if used in a crime would not be possible with a sabot on a rifle bullet.....

Perhaps I am way off base

I seriously doubt THAT is the case, due to the fact that rifles are RARELY used in the commission of crimes. I would be more inclined to think that it was because of how significant the drop in accuracy was. There was just NO WAY that a 30-06 shooting them could even come close to doing the job that the .220 could do on say, prairie dogs at 800 yards. You'd be lucky to go 1-for-5 at 150!

But like I have mentioned already, I HAVE heard that there is at least 1, possibly 2, companies (I don't know the names) that are working on developing .30 caliber and 7mm sabots for the reloader. I know that .22" I.D. sabots WILL be among the offerings, but I hope that they will go up to at least .243" (6mm), or even .257", which should have much better accuracy than the .22. Maybe .264 (for the 7, anyways) is simply asking too much, out of the materials that are currently available at this time.

I have played with the aftermarket sabots years ago in a 7.62x39 carbine.What seem to happen was the sabot would spin according to the host rifle twist,however the bullet would "slip" and not spin,hence no accuracy. I ran speeds up and down and it made no differance. I was looking for a lite sub-sonic load,but bullets would run 4" to keyholes.

This is all nothing but "modern day" paper-patching,but I don't think the plactic is there yet...

I am in agreement about the plastic (the ones currently on the market are made of either polycarbonate or nylon) not being up to adequately handling the extreme forces that it has to endure. There are currently 4 manufacturers that make them, but the ONLY size that is currently available is 22/30 (224/308). At least 1 of them does make a 30/50, but it is also unavailable, probably due to massive purchase orders being placed by the military. I think at least 2 of them say they are planning on offering other sizes, such as 22/7mm, 243/7mm (that's the one that I'M waiting for), 243/30, 22/270, 243/270, 338/45, and 338/50. It makes sense to me that the smaller the difference in caliber (less side thickness of the sabot), the less chance there is that the issues mentioned will manifest themselves. The wait for the additional sizes is getting very long indeed, as they have been saying that they will be coming out with them for quite some time now, but they still aren't available.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.