VLD 260 Rem loads

denny2

I have been using 49 grs. of H4831sc pushing a 129gr. SST out of my 24" barrel. I have been getting 2850 fps with that load. Max load is 49.9 of H4831sc at 2900 fps. in the Hornady book.
I just bought some 130gr. VLD hunting bullets. Berger sent me load data and it shows a max load using 45.2 gr. of H4831sc at 2740 fps.
I'm not sure what to do. Was hoping for at least 2850 shooting these little missiles. Does the length of the VLD create more pressure not allowing it to be loaded hotter? or these just conservative load data?

Maybe someone else with better technical knowledge could chime in and give you a better answer but I found the same thing with Berger data for my 300 WSM. Their max loads were the starting loads in one of my books. I just started at their max load and worked my way up towards the max listed in my book. I found best initial accuracy right at their max load but my velocities were almost 100 fps slower than they listed, a little tinkering around produced the velocities I was hoping for and great accuracy as well.

For the 22-250 loads they sent me, their data was a close to my usual books and ironically enough my best loads came right about their max load listed. I think you should be fine to start with their data and work up to your old load. Just remember there is no free lunch so if you start getting way higher velocities than you should before getting pressure signs, you are already pushing the pressure limits.

Also, make sure they sent you the data for the right bullet, that could cause some load discrepancies.

My bet would be conservative load data.

I'd be happy to take some or all those 130 VLDs off your hands in exchange for some 123 A-Max/Scenars :D

i shoot the `140's but have shot the 130's my load for the 140's is 42 gr. of h4350 with the velocity around 2720 and they group less then 1 moa out to 1,000 yards so really i do not mind that they don't shoot any faster because i am dialing up for yardage anyway. 28.750 for 1,000 and only 6 moa for 400 i mean what is it to dial an extra moa at a given yardage?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.