VISA Bill Arrived - Mule Deer CO Tag - Wife WHATTT??

Sounds like someone is gonna be filling her closet with a bunch of shoes...and glaring in your eyes waiting for you to say something.....I done the, " this .204 Ruger will save lots of money reloading"...her reply was, " I thought the .17HH was supposed to save money reloading" !!! Guess we'll never win.......Either way, Congrats on the tag !
My wife used to get new shoes every time I came home with a new toy. Now she has graduated to high priced purses. Seems like everything I buy ends up costing double, so I figure that in up front when I want something new. I don't get as many new toys, but life is good at home.

I remember my first mule deer tag in Wyoming many years ago. While on the trip, I took a day, drove to a local native American jewelry shop. There I purchased a beautiful set of silver and turquoise earrings for my wife. After I told her about my hunt (which held very little interest to her), I pulled the gift wrapped jewelry out of my pack. The next year, she looked forward to my next hunt trip and of course her "surprise" gift. These days I hunt and she takes the grandkids on cruises. Maybe the grandkids should go on hunts with me.

Caveat this by saying been married for 26 years. When we got married we have never ever had a joint account. She has her checking and savings and I have mine. I dont know if she has 5 or 50K in hers same with mine. I am on her accounts and her on mine in the event of emergency but neither have ever touched the others accounts. She has her hobbies, I hunt. She tired hunting and shot a nice WT buck she must have cried for an hour. She doesnt have the heart to shoot animals. She will go to the range with me anytime and shoot her rifles for hours. She wants a new car she pays for it I want a new truck I pay for it. Its worked for us and oh btw we don't have joint credit cards either (a lot less explaining to do that way haha). Good luck hope you get a monster...

So the VISA arrives today and my wife very rarely looks at it but she happened to glance at it and saw the CO charge of $396.75 for Mule deer license. WTH! I had told her how lucky I was to get drawn for the tag few weeks ago but failed to mentioned the $$$$. I guess I have failed over the years to impress my wife with the value of CO tags. She stated " I thought you were lucky to draw a tag!" Translation: I though it was free! I then went on to explain the cost of an elk tag was always encapsulated in the guided hunts so you wouldn't have seen the actually cost. I then went on to explain the elk bull tag is $661.75. Which by now my wife is sitting there scratching her head on how much these hunts cost even DIY. I finished the discussion off by saying the elk tag is correctly priced because an elk to twice the size of a mule deer and this is a very cheap hunt since I didn't buy a new rifle.

So how do you think I did?

And THAT, Folks, is how Muddyboots ended up in Intensive Care.
He is expected to recover fully but cannot hunt in a full-body cast for the foreseeable future.
I think someone started up a GoFundMe account to help buy him a Man-Sized Dog House in the back yard and a new closet filled with shoes for his (almost) ex-wife.
The All-Female Jury refused to indict Mrs. Muddyboots and all charges have been dropped by the local All-Female District Attorney's office either.
Let us have a moment of silence for Muddyboots.
(PS, do I smell melting plastic?!?)
LMAO!!!
All kidding aside, good luck on your hunt, Pardner.
Don't be surprised to see some Female-Induced home improvements when you get home from your hunt, Brother. Just bite your tongue and roll with it.
Ain't married life just GRAND?!? Bwhahahahaha!!!

haha this is great! The best part is you telling her its a very cheap hunt since you didnt buy a new rifle lol..

EXACTLY!
It's like when the Wimmen Folk come home, arms laden with MANY bags of female FooFoo goodies, and hear them exclaim "Honey, I SAVED almost $500.00 today!!"
All WE see is that they SPENT $650.00, so that Common Core Math stuff doesn't seem to FEEL like they "SAVED" any money at ALL!!!
LMAO
But they are all Purty soft and squishy and stink Purty and like us MOST of the time, so whatchya gonna do, eh?!?
LOL

So the VISA arrives today and my wife very rarely looks at it but she happened to glance at it and saw the CO charge of $396.75 for Mule deer license. WTH! I had told her how lucky I was to get drawn for the tag few weeks ago but failed to mentioned the $$$$. I guess I have failed over the years to impress my wife with the value of CO tags. She stated " I thought you were lucky to draw a tag!" Translation: I though it was free! I then went on to explain the cost of an elk tag was always encapsulated in the guided hunts so you wouldn't have seen the actually cost. I then went on to explain the elk bull tag is $661.75. Which by now my wife is sitting there scratching her head on how much these hunts cost even DIY. I finished the discussion off by saying the elk tag is correctly priced because an elk to twice the size of a mule deer and this is a very cheap hunt since I didn't buy a new rifle.

So how do you think I did?
Lol congrats, where you hunting? I'm hunting Unit 55 for both muley and elk. If you need any info contact me I live in CO and hunt every year!

First wife said I could hunt, but only locally......divorced in 1st year!
Second wife said I could hunt deer in neighboring state and made me feel guilty about doing it, but no where else.....divorced in 3rd year!
Third wife said I could go wherever I wanted, even guided, as long as she could go on her own trips too.......15yrs of marriage now and still going strong!
46 years of marriage and she doesn't care where I go as long as I go.

I think most wives, mine included can understand the cost benefit if you have a successful harvest. You get healthy organic naturally fed animals, whether Elk, Deer, Pigs, Goats etc..... Some with even jump on the chance to go hunting, albeit that percentage is not very high.

I think about good organic grass fed, free range meat runs about $10-15 per pound depending on the store you buy from. Typical yield is about 45% on small deer, 150 lbs or less field dressed. Larger deer, elk, caribou and yield about 55% percent and most will yield close to 60%. Pigs and Goats typically yield above 70%. Average muley weight is 190 lbs. so you end up with approximately 80 lbs of meet times retail cost is about $900.00 for that organic meat. since you are paying $400 to harvest a muley, your price per pound is $5.00/lb. They also have to understand it a lot of work to hunt, albeit to them it may seem like there is a lot of pleasure to hunting, there is and that what makes the work of harvesting organic food worth it. Overall the cost benefit seems pretty reasonable to me and my wife agrees the healthy meat is a better choice.

Typically I do tell my wife she can go and spend a couple hundred on what she wants. Albeit since she shoots all my firearms, she doesn't get any spending money when we buy something new.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.