Virginia Grouse and Woodcock?

DLJ6

Ive been traipsing about in the GWNF here in Virginia in hopes of putting my young ESS on a grouse. They sure seem sparsely populated these days. The last time I hunted them in the same areas was in the late 90s behind an old yellow lab. Back then we averaged about 2 flushes/hr.
I may switch areas and focus on some wetter ground this weekend as I suspect the woodcock may be migrating through with freezing temps up north.
Anyone here have any advice to share?

Population is way down in the parts of southern and central PA that I hunt. State says avian influenza. Suspect the same is occurring in VA.

I have 2 ESS and still get out with them although I have no idea why. They get some exercise and I get some bear/deer scouting in. We flushed 2 birds in 3 outings. Unfortunately, I did not get to see them.

The birds are where you find them in VA. Grouse down south in the Jefferson NF and highlands West of 81. Also Northwest on the WV border in GWNF (last year saw a few when hiking). Have seen some woodcock in Central VA SW of Richmond bordering farmland along the James. You are right, they should start moving with the cold snap at last. The doggone split season generally excludes the peak of the migration. The best resource I've found is DGIF agents in their localities - just ask, they know where the birds are. Been know to stop their trucks for a quick chat - they're really the good guys. Good luck.

Thanks all for the replies. We got out 6 times SW of Front Royal and flushed one grouse that we saw. There is a preserve north of us in WVa. that I am considering taking the pup to. Also considering a trip next fall, either plains for pheasant of Maine for grouse.
Dave

We are in Southwest VA and have always hunted west of 81. Grouse were abundant here in the early 2000s and it was very common for my Dad and I to get the daily bag limit. He has hunted grouse here since the early 70s. We always had dogs and the tradition went all the way back to my popaw. We all three had Browning Auto 5s. I still rabbit hunt with popaw's. Only one of our hunting buddies still goes out grouse hunting and his last English Setter died last year. He told me he hunted maybe six or seven times before he jumped a single grouse. He didn't even want to shoot at it. I haven't seen a woodcock in nearly 20 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.