viper pst vs hs-t

Unless you have specific reasons for them, I find IR's to be useless, inconvenient, and just something extra to tear up. So if I have the option to NOT have an IR on a scope, I usually will take the non-IR option. Plus, they're usually cheaper that way.

I'm loving my Vortex Viper HS scopes. They're the top of my list for their price range. The PST uses the same glass as the HS-T. I think the only differences really are the PST has an IR, and different reticles than what are offered in the HS-T. Also, they offer a FFP version of the PST, whereas the HS-T is only offered in s SFP.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDkKJIb1-I0[/ame]

The hst is a wire reticle the pst is etched ..that being said the hst line is awesome for the money. We run alot of vortex optics and several of my personal rifles have hst on them and the coyotes can't tell the difference between them and my gen 2's lol

Jordan@406

The hst is a wire reticle the pst is etched ..that being said the hst line is awesome for the money. We run alot of vortex optics and several of my personal rifles have hst on them and the coyotes can't tell the difference between them and my gen 2's lol

Jordan@406

I didn't know that, that's good info to know.

To me, that's still hard to justify spending more for basically the same scope with a few extra bells and whistles I won't need, even though an etched reticle is a very nice upgrade.

I'm with you glass is the same to my knowledge. If it says anything about anything I run two 4x16x50 xlr scopes on my main hunting rifles and haven't felt under glassed yet.

If the xlr had razor glass it would be the perfect scope for my hunting rigs. I've run the one xlr on 338 Lapuas and now my 300 norma it has seen literally 1000s of rounds from a big bore ad still functions perfectly.

Rumor is vortex is cooking something special up to fill the void since the xlr was discontinued this year.

Jordan@406

I have 2 HSTs and 1PST. I like the PST a lot more. I like FFP and my PST has a better field of view. The IR is great on the first and last coyote stand of the day. I also believe the PST is more clear at the higher powers but that may just be my perception. That being said I also like the HST as well.

Most of the differences have been stated. I just went through this decision and went with the 4-16x50 PST because I liked the reticle choice. I was also able to find it for LESS than the HS-T after doing some search (roughly $515 for the SFP I think). I am wondering if they are phasing out the PST as I have seen this price from a couple different suppliers. Heck of a deal in my opinion, considering you are getting the etched reticle and the option to use the illuminated reticle.

Hmmm, I was talking to a guy just yesterday at the range about this. I have a Razor on a 7mm Rem Mag now but the wife has claimed the rifle so I need to put something lighter on it. I was talking to this guy who has both these scopes and he says he likes the glass on the PST better. I don't know if there truly is a difference between the glass but he owns both and seems to think so. I'm probably going to put a PST FFP on her rifle.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the two except for the illuminated reticle.

The "hs" series have half MOA on vertical and quarter MOA adjustments on horizontal while the PST IS quarter MOA adjustments for both.

Hmmm, I was talking to a guy just yesterday at the range about this. I have a Razor on a 7mm Rem Mag now but the wife has claimed the rifle so I need to put something lighter on it. I was talking to this guy who has both these scopes and he says he likes the glass on the PST better. I don't know if there truly is a difference between the glass but he owns both and seems to think so. I'm probably going to put a PST FFP on her rifle.
I believe the glass should be the same. Of course there can be tolerance ranges and he might have got a pst on the top range and the HS on a lower range of batch quality. Probably wouldn't be noticeable unless you were switching back and forth right there in person.

The "hs" series have half MOA on vertical and quarter MOA adjustments on horizontal while the PST IS quarter MOA adjustments for both.
Not exactly. The HS LR scope has a capped windage turret (1/4 moa clicks) and a 1/2 moa per click elevation turret. Everything else has 1/4 moa, including the HS, HS-T and PST.

I was looking at all of these scopes recently and I settled on a Mrad PST 4-16x50. It has my favorite reticle of the three (HS LR, HS-T, PST) and was on sale for only $499. The MOA scopes are not on sale unfortunately.

Not exactly. The HS LR scope has a capped windage turret (1/4 moa clicks) and a 1/2 moa per click elevation turret. Everything else has 1/4 moa, including the HS, HS-T and PST.

I was looking at all of these scopes recently and I settled on a Mrad PST 4-16x50. It has my favorite reticle of the three (HS LR, HS-T, PST) and was on sale for only $499. The MOA scopes are not on sale unfortunately.

Are the other versions capped though?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.