Viper PST FFP reticle options....

robtattoo

I'm going to be buying myself a Vortex Viper PST & I need options on reticle choice, if you could please.

I'd 90% decide on the ebr-c2, but I'm reading that a lot of folk prefer the ebr-1, although no-one seems to be able to explain why.
I'm completely new to long range shooting & don't yet fully understand all the ins & outs, preferences & reasonings.

Can anyone help?

I'll only be using it for target work. I'm nowhere near skilled enough yet to push past 400 yds on game.

I went with the 2c as I thought it was somewhat thinner at max mag than the ebr-1.

So far I really like it.
z

I have had the EBR-2C in the 6-24 FFP for a few months now and I love it. Most of my shooting is done at 120 to 150 yards but I have taken it out 600 on a few occasions. My reasoning for going with the 2C was more numbers on the elevation and the open center.

When I took it out to 600 the first time my ballistics calculator said 12.37 MOA so I held over and got a first round hit on target. The lines on it are thin enough that I didn't have any trouble seeing the target when I was holding on it. The next time I shot at that range I dialed up those clicks and the open center allowed me to easily see the milk jug that I was shooting at.

The only thing I had a bit of an issue with was spotting my brothers shots. The windage hold off dots do make the bottom of the reticle a bit cluttered when trying to see holes on paper but I just use the area above the reticle which solves it. I personally haven't had to shoot in the wind but I would think the dots would be invaluable for windage hold offs.

To me the reticle choice comes down to whether you want windage dots, more numbered elevation hold offs and an open center or a less cluttered more streamlined reticle. I went with the one that had more because I personnally liked it more but it will be up to you to decide how much you want to get out of your reticle.

Chris

I just purchased a PST with EBR-1.

I can tell you that i really do not like how fat the crosshairs are at max magnification.

I have come from leupold fine duplex (all i own) and i feel i will have trouble getting used to the reticle thickness.

I may end up trading it for a EBR 2-c model down the road.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts