Viper 6.5-20X50mm to much scope for 20" Ar15?

TheBlackMambaXD

For my first AR15 build I am going for a mid-range, out to about 500yds or so, rifle. I like everything about the Viper 6.5-20, but it seems weird to have a huge 50mm scope on an AR15. And also I dont want this rifle to be useless at 50 yds or so, if 6.5x is to high a minimum power. Thanks

Whether or not the 50mm front objective is too large will be a very subjective thing. You'll hear some say that 1-6X in a compact, small objective scope is all a guy ever needs. Or perhaps a red dot, holographic or ACOG.

I'm an old varmint hunter....I like magnification, to zoom in on small targets, and often that includes a larger front objective. I have one AR with a Viper 6.5-20X by 50mm and one with a Viper PST FFP 6-24X by 50mm. I happen to like both scopes.....the regular Viper 6.5-20X by 50mm is a really nice scope for it's price point. I purchased mine new from a vendor for $280 a couple of years ago.....can't get much for that price these days. So you'll probably get opinions on both sides of the fence. My rigs are set up to shoot 77gr. SMK's......so I'm looking to stretch the limits of my .223's....as such, they are not CQB friendly.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.
The 6.5-20X wouldn't be useless at 50 yards....depending on your target.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.