Vihtavuori N133 loads for 556/55grn AR platform?

squeeeeze

As powder has become hard to get I found that VV N133 was available at a couple places last week. I bought 16lbs due to VV website talking about it being designed for 6PPC and .223 with light to mid weight bullets. I took a gamble and figured I'd try it while something was available. It's since been all bought up as well.

I've been researching and find very little info on it and most is 10+ years old (hope I found a sleeper powder). Was just hoping for some reassurance for my gamble and wanted to see if anyone had any great loads to share. Sounds like it may be fairly temp stable and clean? I am in AZ so we have huge temperature swings. The blowback from the suppressor dirty's up the ammo in the magazine pretty darned fast.

It's for my 16" suppressed AR-15 in .223 WYLDE with a 1:8 twist and primarily my varmint gun but fun to shoot at the range off a bench once in a while. I've only shot factory Hornady V-max and Z-max ammo through it and shoots .75" pretty consistently. I will be using LC .556 brass, 55 Grn Hornady V-max, and have a few different SRP's I can use. Wolf NC223 Small mag primers, CCI #450's, BR4's, Rem. 7-1/2 Bench, Fed 205M and Fed AR 205M (not trying to brag about my SRP collection)

Last edited:
Shot it very successfully at benchrest in my 6 ppc and 22 Hawk wildcat in the 70s and 80s. Also shot it in 223 very well. Gave my bench guns to my nephew a few years ago (load data too). Let me look for my 223 load data. I rember I used Fed srp.

My recollection was a little off. Used N-133 in my 6ppc. Should work fine in 223 too
Loads for 223 were:
N 130, 23.0 & 23.5grs with 52gr bullet.
IMR 4895, 26.3 grs, 52 gr bullet
H 335, 25.5 grs, 52 gr bullet
All with Fed srp

It's my favorite for 223. I load 23.9 with 60 gr Sierra MK and it's running 3100 from my Tikka

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Glad there is plenty of load data available.

This is my 1st VV powder. There were other choices I'd rather have and wasn't ready to buy a bunch yet, but given the situation I figured I'd better get it while available.

Anyone shoot it in their gas guns with great accuracy and proper cycling?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.