VIDEO - Maral Hunting in Kazakhstan 2011

kazreddy

Hi Folks,

Here is a link to [ame="http://youtu.be/6m3e8185ToQ"]video [/ame]of my hunt earlier this month for Maral stag (asian elk) in Kazakhstan. Maral are actually the largest species of Red deer.

To explain some of the footage. The first sequence is a Maral shot and wounded by a friend at 25 yards! Despite our best efforts we did not find the stag. Two weeks later after we returned Nicolas our guide was hunting with another client and they shot at and missed a large brown bear! When they went to check for blood they found that the bear had been feeding on Jeff's stag! At the end of the video you see Nicolas ride into camp with the antlers.

The second sequence is the Maral I shot. The first shot was taken at 749 yards, as there was no way to approach closer and the shot felt good to me at the time, I knew where the gun was shooting so decided to take it. If you look very carefully you can see the bullet in flight and also hear the sound of the impact a good bit after you see the animal react. [keep in mind the video you are watching is zoomed in quite a bit]. I fired the finishing shot at 370 yards from the tree where I am seen talking. It went down so fast I did not see it drop so am seen asking later if it went down! Unfortunately we did not get the shot on video as the focus was on finishing the job at that point. I was using a Sako in 300 RUM, with a Zeiss 4.5-14 with a Z800 reticule and 200 grain Accubond bullets. This is by far the longest shot I have ever taken!

If you are an Elk hunter this is your absolute dream hunt for monster bulls in pure wilderness. Note - While both our bulls are very nice and will probably score within the top 10 in the SCI record book they are not monsters!

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Great video, thanks for sharing that. I hadn't heard of Marals before. It was cool to hear them bugle like our American Elk. What a great looking hunt.

Were those capercaille (grouse) in the top of that tree?

What did you use to shoot the video with?

What editing program did you use to make your video?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts