VIDEO... Charging Bear Pistol Test

I've had two German shepherds. One was a white shepherd and other black and tan. I think they are the smartest breed. **** good dogs.
424712A1-8698-4F90-A2E4-05C390F207FA.jpeg
This is our current GSD.

are you wearing snake boots in the winter?
This is actually a buddy of mine shooting my 500SW. We were doing a little dirt bike riding at his farm. Decided to pull out the firearms to have the full country boy experience. I have as much fun watching others shoot the revolver for the first time as shooting it myself. I also get a kick out of shooting a round at the range when everyone is shooting 9mm around me. I am nice enough to announce "check your ear protection" before unleashing the hand cannon.

Yes but it was a pump, these exercises prove shot quantity to increase fatal hits are a huge plus, I'd like to see how many shot he can get off with slugs and what the hits will be. When we go back in for game retrieval I use a 9 round simi auto 12ga with slugs and 000 buck alternating . A bear being hit anywhere other then a central nervous system hit is a huge gamble. Even threw heart or lungs the bear can probably still keep going for several minutes!! Now it's ticked off till it expired…scary thought
I would of liked wit a semi auto also. I have no need to carry a shotgun while hunting elk or deer here. It's rifle and pistol and maybe bear spray. I've carried all three but bear spray last choice. You don't know which way wind is blowing around in a canyon or if it will get on you from bear. To me it's a Park bear thing. It bet you grow almonds off hwy 40.

Last edited:
We find the Safari Boonie Packer Sling, last one about $20 at Cabelas about 2019, perfect for long gun carry in toothed/clawed critter country. Provides optics up "at the ready" weight on opposite shoulder, muzzle up/down/right/left/straight/waist or chest high/optics tight under arm pit for heavy brush control, carry with one or both hands still free to use trekking poles, binos, GPS, machette.... Can back carry muzzle up/down as traditional sling in very open areas. In an emergency snap shot scenario, it is as fast/faster than drawing a handgun, the long gun is already half way to your shoulder......even fire from carry position one handed if critical, providing handgun speed to fire, semi- over bolt firepower with long gun energy. 10-20 rounds of 308+ beats 6 rounds of .44 mag any flavor all day, every day. We run side-pull charging 308 platform big action ARs in various chamberings with adjustable gas blocks....OFF for bolt action maximum accuracy hunting shots; ON for carry where semi-auto firepower might save a life, mauling. For our heartbeats, it is the best comfort insurance we have found. The minor weight penalty is very comforting.....sorta like a weighted comfort blanket, lighter than a PH on your shoulders.
I carry a 8 in. Straight blade aslo. Last defence.

Last edited:
I have one of those .41 mag Ruger's. They were referred to as the Ft. Rich special back in the seventies in the southern part of the state.
I had an old 3 screw flattop Ruger 41 mag when I was a youngin. Had every blackhawk Ruger made plus 44 mag super blackhawk. 357. 45 LC Large frame, 41 mag, 30 carbine, 22 /22 mag. Sold them all but 44 mag when lost a job to pay rent when I was young. Along with other pistols .....

I had an old 3 screw flattop Ruger 41 mag when I was a youngin. Had every blackhawk Ruger made plus 44 mag super blackhawk. 357. 45 LC Large frame, 41 mag, 30 carbine, 22 /22 mag. Sold them all but 44 mag when lost a job to pay rent when I was young. Along with other pistols .....
My Ruger .41 mag has been packed around since 1979 on every hunting and most fishing trips that there I no bluing left. Still shoots 250 grain hard cast bullets great.

Ruger .41 mag has been packed around since 1979 on every hunting and most fishing trips that there I no bluing left. Still shoots 250 grain hard cast bullets great.
My Ruger .41 mag has been packed around since 1979 on every hunting and most fishing trips that there I no bluing left. Still shoots 250 grain hard cast bullets great.
I bought my old model 41 mag when I was around 21 or 22 yrs old. So around 1978-79. I with I still had it along with other Blackhawks I had. Kept my 44 mag Super Blackhawk. Last year I bought a bunch of guns off a lady who's husband had died a couple years earlier. I got an old model 357 Blackhawk from her. I was happy.

Ruger .41 mag has been packed around since 1979 on every hunting and most fishing trips that there I no bluing left. Still shoots 250 grain hard cast bullets great.

I bought my old model 41 mag when I was around 21 or 22 yrs old. So around 1978-79. I with I still had it along with other Blackhawks I had. Kept my 44 mag Super Blackhawk. Last year I bought a bunch of guns off a lady who's husband had died a couple years earlier. I got an old model 357 Blackhawk from her. I was happy.
Have a .44 with a 10.5 inch barrel and would like to get hold of a .357 just because they are cheaper to reload and target shoot for.

Have a .44 with a 10.5 inch barrel and would like to get hold of a .357 just because they are cheaper to reload and target shoot for.
A Ruger ? Mine is 7.5 in. My Super Redhawk 454 Cassull is 9.5 in. Wish it were shorter. My 460 S&W XVR is 8 in. I believe. Wish it were longer ! The 10.5 in Hunter came out after. It is nice to be able to shoot 38's in a 357. I have Ruger GP100 6.0 in. 357 also. The 460 I can shoot 454 and 45 LC out of also but I don't. Have shot 45 LC out of the 454. A little pop.
The Blackhawk I had in 45 LC way back then was a large frame like the Super Blackhawk and in 7.5 in. I wish I still had it. I shot some hefty loads out of equal to my 44 mag.

I really don't know why I am drawn to bear stories other than having a deep respect for the shear power of the bear. I've spent some time hiking in and around Glacier and Yellowstone NP armed only with bear spray. I was hiking through the woods within 1000 yards of the bear pictured below earlier in day. I am thankful that I didn't walk up on this bear and elk carcass during the hike.
DF5F5417-0908-4DF6-927E-ED7309E5F49F.jpeg