Vibration dampener

Hello all

I've been building up my hunting rifle and have been told by multiple people that adding a vibration dampener to my barrel I would increase accuracy. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is here? Myth or fact??? Anyone who does believe in them have a link to where they purchased theirs? Thanks!

There are a lot of ways to tune the accuracy of a rifle - I think a dampener would be a last resort. I tried one on a 7mm a few years ago - I got the group to shrink a little bit, but this particular barrel wasn't free floated and by design was making contact with the forend of the stock. I thought I would try a cheap dampener instead of a new stock. Like I said, it helped a little bit, but a new stock, new trigger and some load development did cut the groups in half (It was a remington BDL).

Last edited:
I also have a limbsaver recoil paid on one of my rifles . It's nice. Like gel. Also have thier vibration dampers on my bow on the limbs and string. Makes it quieter. Now we are talking about them for rifles makes me want to get another for the 300 RUM.

Last edited:
About that time there was another method going around. At fore end of stock was a screw that could put upward pressure on the barrel, couple of friends set one up to play with. It actually worked but not enough to spend the time finding the sweet spot

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.