Vibrating or Rotary Tumbler

I'll be back in town on Thursday and will post up some pics. This method does not get your brass shiny clean like wet tumbling.
That's probably not a big deal as long as it is clean, i do like it when they are shinny.
I'd rather not damage the brass and spend more time in the tumbler. Wife might just have to deal.
Have you tried adding any polishing compound to the rice? Thinking I recall seeing stuff to add to the corn or walnut to "renew" it.

Primal Rights has a great article on their website with links to the rice and the reasons to use it.

Absolutely going to rice after reading the article. However tumbling for 12 hours (yes I know that is his max time) would drive my spouse and our neighbors nuts. I have tinnitus and hearing loss so it would not be an issue except I don't like to sleep alone

That's probably not a big deal as long as it is clean, i do like it when they are shinny.
I'd rather not damage the brass and spend more time in the tumbler. Wife might just have to deal.
Have you tried adding any polishing compound to the rice? Thinking I recall seeing stuff to add to the corn or walnut to "renew" it.
I was wondering what to do with that Dillon Rapid Polish.
Hawkeye-any comment on using an additive ?

I just figured it could be a useful addition, I'm going to see if the store has the rice and give it a try, then I'll see if I can get some non toxic polish. Using the vibration tumbler I have as the least expensive option then move up if necessary.
Those with Rotary tumbler do you see any damage to the mouth of the case from the brass hitting the other cases?

I love my tumbler. It's a harbor freight model. It would be perfect for a small space. You can get one with one or two drums. I believe they market them as rock polishers. The only thing I don't like about them is if you just need to clean the lube off of the cases. They're a little cumbersome for that. I usually just wipe the lube off with a towel if that's all I need to do.
I have the Harbor Freight unit also. Works great. Be sure to lubricate the drive mechanism liberally when you get it home or you may brake a drive belt like I did. Two drums allows me to do some separation. I wet process only. After rinsing out the drums and carefully pouring off the water through a fine sieve to avoid losing any pins, I knock each piece of brass off on the drum edge, then I also tap and roll on a clean white towel and leave in a small pile. Then I use a magnet to pick up any stray pins and blow dry the brass on the towel. The blow dryer moves the brass around. I roll up the back edges of the towel to keep the brass constrained. They end up looking like new.

I just figured it could be a useful addition, I'm going to see if the store has the rice and give it a try, then I'll see if I can get some non toxic polish. Using the vibration tumbler I have as the least expensive option then move up if necessary.
Those with Rotary tumbler do you see any damage to the mouth of the case from the brass hitting the other cases?
I only see a small amount of peening the main reason to use the rice method is to get much more consistent bullet seating.

I only see a small amount of peening the main reason to use the rice method is to get much more consistent bullet seating.
Makes total sense, and that's the main goal.
I dont think I'm going to use the SS pins, clean or not I don't like the idea of peening.

Last edited:
Here a couple of pics.
1AEFBFFB-C9BD-4971-972A-5F55A3F5F932.jpeg
A526020E-6B4A-4E9B-A110-7F8136536BE1.jpeg

Recent Posts