Vibrating or Rotary Tumbler

Hawkeye Pierce

So I currently have a Lyman 2500 mag vibrating tumbler that has worked well for me. Unfortunately I moved my family into a 42ft camper full time for some fun around the country. I have been interested in the Rotary Tumbler for a while now, mainly as I don't have much room in the camper to reload. I Use a RCBS rotary sifter to separate the corncob media from the brass. I also like the idea of the stainless steel media not having to get replaced.
Question is what would the best tumbler be for a small space? trying to maximize the use of every square inch.
What is the difference in end product between the two?
Keep in mind that I don't have an oven in my camper to dry if I did the wet tumble.
(Wife wanted it out).
Here is what I'm looking at.
I have a good vibration tumbler,
Have to get new media occasionally
Use a rcbs separator

Or do I by a Rotary tumbler?
Which is the best for small spaces?
Do I need a drying system or can I towel dry?
Can you dry tumble vs only wet?
Do you have to get more pins eventually or use a different media?

I'm looking at the Lyman Rotary tumbler because it comes with the sifter pans and I like the 2500 mag I have.

This is a picture of my "reloading bench"
Haha it actually works ok.

Attachments

• 20210801_074331.jpg
    20210801_074331.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 154
Here is my list of pros and cons since my vibratory (RCBS) died on me a year ago after about 25 years and I got a drum type with SS media to replace it.
The vibratory was easier for small batches but takes longer. It was also easier since once they were clean all you had to do was separate the media.
With the drum tumbler, you have to worry about a stray SS pin hiding in one of the cases and the drying can be a pain although if you just towel dry and let the cleaned cases sit for a day, they should be ready to load.
Since most of my loading is small batch (50-100) and a lot of my tumbling usage is just removing lube when I have to FL size, I miss my vibratory and will probably get another one of these days.
I wouldn't want to listen to either one sitting in a motorhome so maybe the speed of the drum type makes since for you since IME it is faster.

Here is my list of pros and cons since my vibratory (RCBS) died on me a year ago after about 25 years and I got a drum type with SS media to replace it.
The vibratory was easier for small batches but takes longer. It was also easier since once they were clean all you had to do was separate the media.
With the drum tumbler, you have to worry about a stray SS pin hiding in one of the cases and the drying can be a pain although if you just towel dry and let the cleaned cases sit for a day, they should be ready to load.
Since most of my loading is small batch (50-100) and a lot of my tumbling usage is just removing lube when I have to FL size, I miss my vibratory and will probably get another one of these days.
I wouldn't want to listen to either one sitting in a motorhome so maybe the speed of the drum type makes since for you since IME it is faster.
Yeah faster might be better, Wife doesn't like the sound.
Toweling off would be my best dying option. I have small batches too, but don't like the corncob mess and break down to where it doesn't clean primer pockets well.
Good things to think about.

I love my tumbler. It's a harbor freight model. It would be perfect for a small space. You can get one with one or two drums. I believe they market them as rock polishers. The only thing I don't like about them is if you just need to clean the lube off of the cases. They're a little cumbersome for that. I usually just wipe the lube off with a towel if that's all I need to do.

I love my tumbler. It's a harbor freight model. It would be perfect for a small space. You can get one with one or two drums. I believe they market them as rock polishers. The only thing I don't like about them is if you just need to clean the lube off of the cases. They're a little cumbersome for that. I usually just wipe the lube off with a towel if that's all I need to do.
Yeah I do do a short run to clean lube off and a long run to clean after deprimed. I'll take a look at it.

If you have a cloths dryer with a tennis shoe rack it works great as well. I have switched to vibratrating with rice, but when I was use the rotary tumbler I would just throw it in the dryer for an hour and they come out dry.

Don't need an oven. Cheap food dehydrator works great for drying them.

If you have a cloths dryer with a tennis shoe rack it works great as well. I have switched to vibratrating with rice, but when I was use the rotary tumbler I would just throw it in the dryer for an hour and they come out dry.
Both great ideas unfortunately, I'm tight on space in the camper as far as the dehydrator is an extra piece of equipment. We don't have a dryer either.
Although my Wife did want a new dehydrator. Hehehe

I live in a house and this is something I do outside. Noisey and dusty if using a vibrating one. Non't think you would save much if any space changing. Just run the thing outside and use the money you saved for these high priced primers we are having to buy.

Both great ideas unfortunately, I'm tight on space in the camper as far as the dehydrator is an extra piece of equipment. We don't have a dryer either.
Although my Wife did want a new dehydrator. Hehehe
If really small 50-100 loads, why not use your wife's hair dryer after toweling them?
I use my wife's to custom form my kydex holsters.