Vibrating cases for compressed loads

tlk

Was talking to an old timer the other day about reloading and compressed loads. He said for those stick powder loads that didn't quite get all in the case he used an electric shaver against the side to get the powder to settle enough to get it all in there. It works.

I am currently using Re22 in a 30-06 case 61.5 grains and am getting close to a compressed load. If I run my Dremel tool and hold the lower SIDE (not the bottom) of the case to it the powder settles and the entire neck is empty, ready for the bullet. I have also found that if I trickle the powder into the funnel and bank it off of the side (kind of letting it circle the funnel like water in a toilet bowl) it settles much better than just dumping the whole load into the bottom of the funnel where it just jams up.

Is there an issue with vibrating the case to get the extra space (powdering of the load, etc)? If so, how do you guys do it? Don't really know how you would get a whole compressed load of Re22 in there without doing something like this, especially on new brass with a heavy bullet.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Was talking to an old timer the other day about reloading and compressed loads. He said for those stick powder loads that didn't quite get all in the case he used an electric shaver against the side to get the powder to settle enough to get it all in there. It works.

I am currently using Re22 in a 30-06 case 61.5 grains and am getting close to a compressed load. If I run my Dremel tool and hold the lower SIDE (not the bottom) of the case to it the powder settles and the entire neck is empty, ready for the bullet. I have also found that if I trickle the powder into the funnel and bank it off of the side (kind of letting it circle the funnel like water in a toilet bowl) it settles much better than just dumping the whole load into the bottom of the funnel where it just jams up.

Is there an issue with vibrating the case to get the extra space (powdering of the load, etc)? If so, how do you guys do it? Don't really know how you would get a whole compressed load of Re22 in there without doing something like this, especially on new brass with a heavy bullet.

Thanks.

A drop tub will do the same thing and is faster.

J E CUSTOM

I load black powder cartridges and you need to use a long 24" drop tube to get the powder in the case. But I have found that I can hold the case on top of my vib case tumbler and it settles the powder down really quick.

I get 63 grains of R22 in the 06 case by useing a 4" drop tube and pouring slowly on the side of the funnel. Vibrateing the case works but it tends to spit a little out and is not as consistant?

A slow pour into a drop tube has always worked well for me. I'd rather not bother with vibrating every individual case. I think before I went that far I'd just use a slightly faster powder. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.