Very proud dad moment!!!

codyadams

Well I have been taking my now 6 year old son shooting for quite some time, from nerf guns, to bb guns, then the major transition to a crickett .22 this last christmas. He has been doing quite well, the other day he printed a 10 shot 100 yard group of under 5" with only a front support!! Watching my son grow has been amazing.

So I took him out yesterday to practice shooting prairie dogs, with full intention of him using solely his 22. Well the p dogs weren't cooperating, they would duck soon as we were within 150 yards, or not stay out long enough for him to get a shot off. So, I said to heck with it, and set up like I normally would.

I drove to the top of an outlook I frequent with ranges out to 500 or so yards, and generally a lot of p-dogs. Sure enough, I spotted a few starting around 300 yards on out. I set up my braked 13 lb .260 AI on bags, and ranged the closest one at 274 yards, saw no wind, and dialed 1.75 MOA, and had him get on the rifle too see if he could find it. He answered with a confident "yup." So I turn on my camera so I can spot his shot, popped his saftey off, and tell him to aim center and send it. Several seconds later I feel the report from my brake, and see the prairie dog go airborne!!! Impact!!! I am overcome with excitement, but you will hear that in the following video.

He then followed that up with another 1 shot hit at 130 yards, then took out 3 more dogs with 5 shots, 1 at 364, and 2 at 367 in some pretty stout winds!!!

When I say I am proud, that is a gross understatement here guys. Words just don't explain. So I felt like I had to share. Hope this brightens someone's day even a fraction of what it did mine. Take care and god bless.

20190708_101757.jpg
20190708_124151.jpg
20190708_124805.jpg
20190708_124845.jpg

Nothing like being a dad, Except being a son with a dad like you !!!
I started hunting with my son when he was 2 and I had to carry him to the duck blind. He is 50 now and takes "Me" now (But he doesn't carry me):) and is a better shot than i am.

What go's around, comes around for the better.

Great Video and Memories.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

That's awesome some of my best memories are shooting and hunting with my sun good job to your son and good job to dad for taking time to make those memories need more parents like you

Cody that's awesome brother. Darn guns bigger than him. Iv'e been hunting with my dad since I was your sons age he's 87 now and still shooting whitetails. Looking forward to seeing him get it done again this fall.

When he was 83 he shot a decent 8 point I said to him. "You know you're making this kind of difficult". He said "What do you mean". I said " Well you shoot one at 83 I'm going to have to shoot one at 84" He said "I'll have to take your word for it I don't think I will be here". I said "What's wrong you don't think you'll make it to 120".

At this point I don't think I will ever catch up to him.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Nothing like being a dad, Except being a son with a dad like you !!!
I started hunting with my son when he was 2 and I had to carry him to the duck blind. He is 50 now and takes "Me" now (But he doesn't carry me):) and is a better shot than i am.

What go's around, comes around for the better.

Great Video and Memories.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM
Well said.......

Awesome! That's a cool rifle (and Jeep) too!

Congrats. I can't wait till my sons old enough to shoot with me.

Well I have been taking my now 6 year old son shooting for quite some time, from nerf guns, to bb guns, then the major transition to a crickett .22 this last christmas. He has been doing quite well, the other day he printed a 10 shot 100 yard group of under 5" with only a front support!! Watching my son grow has been amazing.

So I took him out yesterday to practice shooting prairie dogs, with full intention of him using solely his 22. Well the p dogs weren't cooperating, they would duck soon as we were within 150 yards, or not stay out long enough for him to get a shot off. So, I said to heck with it, and set up like I normally would.

I drove to the top of an outlook I frequent with ranges out to 500 or so yards, and generally a lot of p-dogs. Sure enough, I spotted a few starting around 300 yards on out. I set up my braked 13 lb .260 AI on bags, and ranged the closest one at 274 yards, saw no wind, and dialed 1.75 MOA, and had him get on the rifle too see if he could find it. He answered with a confident "yup." So I turn on my camera so I can spot his shot, popped his saftey off, and tell him to aim center and send it. Several seconds later I feel the report from my brake, and see the prairie dog go airborne!!! Impact!!! I am overcome with excitement, but you will hear that in the following video.

He then followed that up with another 1 shot hit at 130 yards, then took out 3 more dogs with 5 shots, 1 at 364, and 2 at 367 in some pretty stout winds!!!

When I say I am proud, that is a gross understatement here guys. Words just don't explain. So I felt like I had to share. Hope this brightens someone's day even a fraction of what it did mine. Take care and god bless.

View attachment 140854 View attachment 140855 View attachment 140856 View attachment 140857

CONGRATS!
You have MUCH to be proud of, Papa!
Looks like you have the makings of a Fine Hunting Partner, Sir!!
Oh, and that's a Cute Son you have there, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.