very impressed with 243 berger 95grns

Just started using them this year also. I've gotten good results with them behind Varget in my model 7 243 Rem.

Crowsnest -

Howdy !

I like the Berger 95s for use on " Soybeanus Digestus ", but later began liking the
Sierra 6mm 95MKs even better !

These days, I'm working on finding a great load using RL-23 and the new " tipped "
95MKs. I think the polymer tip can only help things.

Despite the difference in " burn rate ", my charges of RL-23 look like they'll end-up being only .1 or .2gr more than the charge wt of RL-22 that I had been using.
I've read that RL-22 burns pretty hot, and I want to go w/ a powder that is proven to be fairly temp insensitive.... an advertised positive characteristic of RL-23.

I'm shooting a 6mm wildcat of my own design, that has case capacity of 51.2gr H2O.
Compare to .243Win @ 54gr H2O, 6mm Remington @ 55gr H2O.

IMHO -
95s w/ enough vel on them would be lethal on GH, even @ 1,000yd.
I don't believe I need to go any heavier on bullet wt, even were a 1,000yd shot
taken.

With regards,
357Mag

Sounds good. Do you know what barrel length and twist? Thanks again.
My model 7 is an older one with a 22" barrel and twist rate of 1 in 9 1/8". Not sure what the load amount was without my notes. I didn't have time to chrony either but plan on doing more work after deer season. Put the two deer I used them on down fast with nothing but mush on the insides. Both were between 100-150 yards.

My model 7 is an older one with a 22" barrel and twist rate of 1 in 9 1/8". Not sure what the load amount was without my notes. I didn't have time to chrony either but plan on doing more work after deer season. Put the two deer I used them on down fast with nothing but mush on the insides. Both were between 100-150 yards.

Great. Thank you!

morning, been shooting the berger VLD 95gr. bullet since started
production. use in my 243AI and 6mmAI. very accurate, stone cold
killer. hogs, deer, coyotes, feral dogs and cats. very good
long range qualities. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.