Very happy with leica so for

T3-OleMan cut to the chase. Is there a store in your area that will allow you to operate several side-by-side? And then purchase the one that out-performs? Getting a unit like that would be worth it even if it cost an extra hundred dollars more than a sight unseen from an internet site.

I purchased from Camera Land, partially because they were a LRH Forum Sponsor, partially because they had a competitive price. But they're in New York and I'm in Alaska. No way for me to test the unit prior to purchase. I talked to a young lady from CL last week and told her that if I could get one that would range farther - as some of these units are capable of - I'd rather receive an exchange than a refund. She took down a few notes for the man I may get to talk to this week. Somehow I doubt that a high volume company like Camera Land will be able to afford the time to compare my returned unit to a couple additional units from their supplies. So I'll probably just end up receiving a refund.

Here's an idea. Somebody start a business testing Leica CRF 1600s. Then re-sell the premium ones for an extra $75-$100, and return the under-performers to Leica. That would be a great service and value to the retail purchaser, as well as providing the benefit of a final QA/QC test on behalf of Leica. The best of both worlds! Or... Leica could do this prior to shipping their units out the door for final retail sale!

Yep looks like a COMP big as Leica could get **** to work before sending it to us.
There product control suck IMO that's not the way to keep customers or get new ones. I know if this one i'm getting doesn't work right i'll be done with leica all together with ever thing and never tell anyone to buy a leica again and i have told a lot of them to buy Leica

Last edited:
Not only do they not seem to have anyone testing the units before they leave for retail, but now they have a 1000yd model and I don't see any 1200's available at Cabela's in their latest shooting catalog...?? Only 1600's and 1000's are listed.

That's kinda scary, because the 1000yd model is also new. I know Cabela's doesn't carry every model of any optic, but it sure makes me wonder. Leica's future with American buyers doesn't look so bright unless they get a handle on this PDQ.

T3-OleMan cut to the chase. Is there a store in your area that will allow you to operate several side-by-side? And then purchase the one that out-performs?

Yep! Called ahead (BPS) and talked to "THA-MAN", Drove 228 total miles, He took it outside with me and when the NEW in the BOX one failed he took it back in and brought demo and NEW in the BOX one back out and we shot them together (he never got to touch that demo again)!:D

DETAILS:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/buying-insurance-timber-accurate-range-73823/

Page 1 _ Post #4 for details
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ALSO, did this with a small store guy about 90 miles from here when I purchased a "zeiss-victory-diavari-4-16x50-t-fl-riflescope". Called and he had the Swro..Z-6 and a ZEISS so I took my 338WM / VX III LR 4.5-14 X50 and we did a (outside-with my gun and two $2000 scopes) Sunset till dark comparrison and "I" picked the ZEISS cause that is what I think can save my hunt if 2010 repeats itself.

I'll trade my stores for your location anytime!
Good Luck.

I'll trade my stores for your location anytime!

No offense taken. :) But I couldn't go near that far in describing the value of access to any store. Most of the time I'm more content the farther I am removed from them.

But you've established a very good 'standard operating practice' for comparing optics prior to purchase. It'd be worth paying a premium to be able to compare them personally - side by side in outdoor viewing conditions. I'll give a big +1 for your method.

Well i got the new one in and so for it works great really fast nailed the roof top at 550 the first time witch the other two never even read it once and hit some brush at 1017 first try. I'm going to try it out at the ranch Sunday and see what it will do. the tripod adapter is really nice it should have been out a long time ago. ill get some pics of it and post them. But so for leica has done what they said they would and made things right. The guy i talked to Hamilton Boykin was super nice and came thru.

The only thing that bothers me is that it took three to get one working right. You would have thought that if you sent one in that they would have made sure the one sent back worked right.
But hey they made it right so for I'm happy. we'll see how its at the ranch.

jeff,

Will be waiting to read the results of your field testing. Hope this one is a gem! Let us know how far it ranges. Mine wasn't a complete dud. Not as bad as your first two. But still, it wasn't ranging the distances that it should have either, based on other CRF 1600 owner/operator's reports.

Well i took it to the ranch and gave it a work over. It worked a lot better than the other two. But not as good as i think it should . I got it to range out to 1730 one time on some trees but could not get it to do it again. i tried ranging a cow that was around 800-900 and never got it to work i had a deer walk out behind the cow on a hill side around 1300-1400 and it never ranged it. I ranged trees 654,864,1120,1343,1560,1603,1730 but once i tried any thing over 800-900 it took a number of tries to get it to read and some times not at all. So to say this is a top end 1600 yrd range finder is not saying much. When it works it works really fast BUT THATS WHEN IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!! So am i happy with this unit NOT REALLY cause a top end range finder should work way better than this my Swarovski did hell my leica 1200 did to. All of this was done out of my truck using the truck as a rest. I forgot my tripod but i think it should help on the long range readings. but I'm still not to happy with it.

So i guess IMO save your money and get a Swarovski

jeff,
Before getting to locked in on your current frustrated feeling put it on the tripod and I bet it will mark that cow and deer. Please keep posting the ups and downs on that puppy.
Thanks

jeff,
Before getting to locked in on your current frustrated feeling put it on the tripod and I bet it will mark that cow and deer. Please keep posting the ups and downs on that puppy.
Thanks

I agree it probably will. but a top end range finder like this leica1600 should be able to nail a cow off hand using a rest at 800-900 yard that's only half of its advertised distance. Who wants to have to carry a tripod around to get a reading at only 800yrds??????????
just more reason to save for a good one. I'll be letting leica know as well. i.ll try it on a tripod to day see if it helps

I agree it probably will. but a top end range finder like this leica1600 should be able to nail a cow off hand using a rest at 800-900 yard that's only half of its advertised distance. Who wants to have to carry a tripod around to get a reading at only 800yrds??????????
just more reason to save for a good one. I'll be letting leica know as well. i.ll try it on a tripod to day see if it helps

Cow color makes all the difference!! My 1200 won't tap a black cow over 400yrds in the sun, red cow gains 200yrds. I'm bummed that the 1600 is having such a crappy time, I've borrowed a couple and hitting elk in the evening at 1600yrds plus was not hard, hit a small pine tree at just short of 2000yrds of hand but braced up well and it would range about 50% of tries, anything under 1400yrds was 100%.
I'm bound and determined to get the Vectronix and not waste anymore money on range finders.

I'm bound and determined to get the Vectronix and not waste anymore money on range finders.

Yes, The PLRF10 has no excuses. And the price is looking like a better deal all the time. The more I read about what people (including myself) went thrugh to get one to work past 1000 the happier I am I cleaned out the gun safe and sold stuff off to buy a Vectronix.

Jeff

Cow color makes all the difference!! My 1200 won't tap a black cow over 400yrds in the sun, red cow gains 200yrds. I'm bummed that the 1600 is having such a crappy time, I've borrowed a couple and hitting elk in the evening at 1600yrds plus was not hard, hit a small pine tree at just short of 2000yrds of hand but braced up well and it would range about 50% of tries, anything under 1400yrds was 100%.

The cow was a dark red but at 800 the dam thing should work every time. i give up on range finders. my next one will be a Vectronix PLRF10. But i fill leica has really dropped the ball on this one. I main three of them and the last one hand picked and it won't range a cow at half of its advertised working distance is bull crap. i sent a long email back to the guy i was talking to but i bet i don't here another thing being it did range out to 1700 plus. Guess I'll try it on the tripod and if it works OK then ill keep it and save up for a Vectronix PLRF10. Because all of the other stuff setting in the safe is useless with out a good range finder.
o well that's the way it goes but leica will not ever see another dollar of my money

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that the 3rd Leica didn't perform better. I think I've read enough. Guess I'll give up on getting an improved CRF 1600. At this point I feel pretty fortunate that my Swaro ranges well enough for my uses.

Here's an idea; Maybe if we took two Leica CRF 1600s and crossed the beams like on the movie Ghostbusters, we could synergistically amplify the beams and get the advertised 1600 meters. :) Then all we'd need is to embrace the buddy system – a buddy with a CRF 1600 on every hunt! :D :D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.