Very first load work up thoughts?

BoomFlop

So here was my process (thanks for all of you that replied to my threads or reached out to me via PM).

-New Starline brass brass. Documented overall length, web diameter, shoulder diameter, neck inside diameter and neck outside diameter. Ran a .222 Sinclair Mandrel in neck to set bullet tension and round the mouth. Trimmed with Sinclair Micrometer Trimmer to just clean up mouth. Chamfer and Debur.
-Used Chargemaster Lite to drop and trickle powder from Nosler min of 26gr of Benchmark up to 27.8gr (.2 short of published max).
-Used Redding Seater die with Micrometer VLD Stem to seat the bullets at exactly .224 in the neck and loaded all rounds based on CBTO of 1.812.

Here are the results. Probably should have been better, had a little wind and it was snowing and kind of chilly. Not to mention, first time reloading puts some added pressure.

All shot from a Remington LTR 223 Rem with Swarovski Z3 3-10x42.

What are everyone's thoughts? Next step?

Thanks again!
Steve

Attachments

• F4B9A38E-2BE5-4837-9976-9997CD55FC0D.jpeg
    F4B9A38E-2BE5-4837-9976-9997CD55FC0D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • AD321ADB-0B8B-4D58-A496-7502EA69E63A.jpeg
    AD321ADB-0B8B-4D58-A496-7502EA69E63A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
I won't use new brass for load development , it hasn't stabilized yet . I'll only use new brass for a seating depth test . then after it's been fired I'll use it for powder work up .

26.6 was .35" and 26.8 was .28" group. I forgot to mention, I never seen any signs of pressure, all primers look new, bolt lift easy and no ejector marks.

Were you trying the OCW method? Or just 3 shot groups?
It's always hard for me to be ok with fliers like that, I always wonder if it was me(especially if there was wind) or the load...
But it looks like groups are tightening up toward the high end, if you're below published max like you say, I would load up some at max and some .2 over max published and watch for pressure signs. See how this thing plays out.
Do you have a chrono?

I'm thinking it was me. I loaded some up at 26.7 to test groups again. I'm wondering if the 40 gr Ballistic Tip doesn't like the 9tw at the upper end?

I loaded between the .35" and .28" group and I'll see what it does.

No chronograph.

Steve

It would appear you are well on your way. Everything functioned and you got a couple of nice groups. Good attention to detail on your load procedures. I see you loaded to a CBTO of 1.812. Is this a set distance off the lands or just extrapolated from a published COL? Just wondering if you have an OAL gage and bullet comparators, as these tools really upped my reloading game.

YZ-80

I do have Hornady Comparator set. I choose that distance to get a bullet diameter in the neck. I will likely play with that some more. I also feel I can load a few more charges as all brass looks great as far as pressure. Primers are normal too.

I also have the Hornady Headspace Gauge as well as a Kleinendorst Tool to remove the firing pin to set my shoulders back minimally.

I also have the Hornady Headspace Gauge as well as a Kleinendorst Tool to remove the firing pin to set my shoulders back minimally.

Korhill78

I will probably start all over with 1x fires brass to learn about those differences as well. Thank you for the heads up. Got a ways togo for sure.

Steve

For a factory rifle I think you are well on your way. Don't know how much tighter you can get. With your new brass there's always a chance you may struggle to achieve that grouping with once fired, what I would recommend is getting the chrono out and finding the velocity window 26.7 is giving you. You already have some once fired, load that up with 26.7 also after you clean it by whatever method you plan on using, and see how it does in the same range session. You may have to tweak your charge a touch to stay in the same velocity area. I'd try to chrono at least a five shot string of both. Looking great through and I would be beyond happy to see that in my range paper.

YZ-80

I do have Hornady Comparator set. I choose that distance to get a bullet diameter in the neck. I will likely play with that some more. I also feel I can load a few more charges as all brass looks great as far as pressure. Primers are normal too.

Oh, this makes sense. I forget that sometimes the OAL gage will push the bullet right out of the comparator case before you encounter the lands in some rifles. That's how my .204 is.

I don't have a bolt action .223 but reload for my AR-15s (Wylde chambers). I use Starline brass too and like it. It seems very consistent.

Best regards!

I can't reach the lands with this little bullet and get any sort of bullet in the neck. I'll play with seating depth as well as 50 gr Ballistic Tip and 60 gr V max.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.