Very disappointed in MGM 8mm mag barrel + Rem 185 factory load

sambo3006

I got a new MGM (formerly Virgin Valley) stainless encore barrel in 8mm Rem Mag and acquired 2 boxes of Factory Remington 185's. Figured I would use them on deer this year and then have the brass to load. I know I need to check out all the variables such as scope, base and rings before I completely jump to conclusions, but everything seems tight and the scope has been reliable before. After a couple of sighters, my first group at 100 yds was about 3 and 5/8"! A fourth shot still made it a 3" group for the last 3 shots.

I'm hoping the barrel just doesn't like those 185's, but I have NEVER had a good shooter that didn't at least shoot okay with nearly anything you stuffed in it. I would have thought I could have expected an inch and a half or so. I stopped after that group as my available time before gun season is limited and I want to use something that I can rely on out to at least 300 yds, was just hoping to break this in on a whitetail. I guess on to the 270 Wby and some 150 gr Partitions.

Hopefully I will discover the reason for the shotgun pattern group when I have more time to tinker with it after gun season, and black powder season, and bow season, and duck season.......

It sounds like it's time to do some load development. You might also have some lockup issues between the new barrel & your frame. There's plenty to check in a new combination like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.