Vertical stringing

Are you testing in an outdoor range?

The range I normally use sees wind from over the shoulder and over the enclosed benches and then down range. The resulting turbulence gave me about the same degree of vertical stringing.

I agree its probably stress in the bedding i had the same problem with a 270 I took all the bedding out and pillardthe action free floated it re bedded it and it stopped stringing

Yeah the bedding job could be the issue. I actually have another stock that's also bedded for the barreled action i could drop it strait in to test. I am preloading the bipod. Also i looked at groups again and measured horizontal. .7moa was the largest vertical from 73.5 gr up to 77 in .5 increments. All but two were under .5. I really feel it might be the way loading the bipods or something. I will take vid next time out.

Getting good tips here. Take yourself out of the equation first, either by paying attn to fundamentals or let another known shooter fire your rifle.

I myself am not the most adept at shooting groups at 100 yards. But most days I can shoot groups at distance, on steel. Lately here, I seem to be fond of either relaxing or forcing a final shot or 2 if I have a great group going on. Paying attn to it, I seem to plop my fat cheek down on the buttstock precisely the time I break the shot and it will go high. No clue why I do it.
We can kill animals with less than perfect shots, or bang steel, but group shooting, everything needs to be the same.
Good luck here!

I do almost all my load development with bipod and rear bag. Nothing wrong with that, but just like any shooting you need to do it right and be honest with yourself. What I read is you think you may be at fault, hard to say it's anything else until you get past that (be mental or actually true). Does this happen with other rifles? Has anyone else shot it?
One thing that will cause vertical stringing is a "limp" rear bag, can cause the butt of the rifle to drop upon recoil instead of riding it straight back. That can happen bipod or not.

Nice, does that work with the version one (cheaper) magnetospeed?
That is a magneto speed sporter in the picture but they also make a mount for the V3 it is made by 3-D printing I'm sure if you contact them they can make them out for pretty much whatever you have

Sounds like a nice rifle, but, crazy question, is the stock different than what you normally shoot? Is the trigger different? Is the 300 Win a caliber you are accustomed too? Shooting groups is a mental thing, it is very easy to overthink things. I would try a bag as has been suggested, establish a checklist, go over it before each shot, and try to do the same thing each time.

I was trying to pay very close attention to detail and go through the fundamentals. Npa, sight pic, cheek placement, breath control, pressing the trigger strait back with a good 90. Follow through. Also trying to load the bipod consistently everytime. The recoil on this rifle is pretty mild with this setup but it's still a 300 win. There's some recoil. I'm really thinking it's something in my setup as far as bag, bipods, or my technique. I had one 4 shot group that was in the low .3's with no stringing that I'm going to load back up and go check velocity 10 and check groups. But again, there were several groups that without the stringing would have been .5 or better.

If there are no problems with bedding, interference with screws and/or stock, I would try several types of different primers. Load all rounds with the same exact charge, only difference being the primers. I have done this and the clear winner with my rifle and load were the Federal 215s, all others were a distant second.

A bipod has caused me to chase my tail a time or two.
It can be hard to control muzzle bounce because you have no pressure on the stock to hold it down when your non trigger hand is on a rear bag. Ditch the bipod if you are bench shooting and shoot off a bag.

Agree with both these 2 guys... if you are wondering if it's you or the equipment you have on the front of your rifle then take the bipod off and try it over sandbags on both the front and the back. That would tell you if it's the bipod or not.
Tens :cool:

Are you shooting your bipod off from a hard surface, I had this problem with my 300 win when I shoot off a concrete or wood bench you can get some lift when you shoot the magnums off from a hard surface, went to the ground and had better results, also like Shawn Carlock said in his long range videos don't drive yourself crazy trying to shoot bug hole groups, I finally took that advice and doing real well shooting steel in the mountains.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.