vernier sights for muzzleloading hunting

wildcat westerner

hello,
Now that we have to use iron sights in New Mexico, I am seeking input from experienced hunters who have used a vernier type sight for hunting big game at longer distances. Thanks

Lyman 57GPR Receiver and a #17A Front sight, probably cover most anything a Muzzleloader could handle out to 250 yards.
I've only been muzzleloaders for a bit over 2 years but have shot a buck at 290 yards with open sights, and out to 600 yards with a scope. I have been looking for a way to dial elevation with something like the Gunwerks sight but I'm not dropping $1K for a sight that I will have to tune and make fit my gun/ front sight distance(it's a geometry thing). I'm not a big fan of holding over or putting/estimating the front globe in the top of the peep to hit 400 yards in the heat of the moment. A rear dialable sight would be the ticket

I've only been muzzleloaders for a bit over 2 years but have shot a buck at 290 yards with open sights, and out to 600 yards with a scope. I have been looking for a way to dial elevation with something like the Gunwerks sight but I'm not dropping $1K for a sight that I will have to tune and make fit my gun/ front sight distance(it's a geometry thing). I'm not a big fan of holding over or putting/estimating the front globe in the top of the peep to hit 400 yards in the heat of the moment. A rear dialable sight would be the ticket
Not sure if that has anything at all to do with what I posted. In ur, heat of the moment, Vernier Tang sights don't dial up all too fast anyways and when math of a muzzle loaded chunk of flying metal is involved, it's even a bit slower. Just picked 250 yards cause that's reasonable Whitetail deer range,in some woodlands.

Last edited: