VELOCITY LOSS QUESTION - FOR FUN

Ian M

You take a brand new Winchester M-70 in .308 Win (24 inch barrel) and chronograph ten shots with Federal 168 match hollowpoints.

Velocities average 2674.

Ten inches of the barrel is cut off - down to 14 inches and recrowned - and the velocities are rechecked.

Lets see who can guess what the velocities would average. I have actual lab data of such a test - who can guess the closest?

Will give the answer after we have a decent response.

Ian, what powder...Varget?

I just checked some loads in my 14" barreled Striker with Varget and 165 SGK's. I thought it sayed 2550 but my dad pointed out that I needed to learn to read
grin.gif
... it was 2250! I think it was 44gr. My dad said he was getting 2700 fps in it with 748 and 168 SMK, the same as in his 24" rem 700 VSS. I'm sure you found the same thing too.
wink.gif
They seem to do real well at holding speed in super short barrels for sure.

I'll take a wild guess and say it was 2620?

Brent,
Factory Federal match ammo, it is loaded with 4064 as a matter of fact.
You sure you typed that correctly!?!?!?

My dads crony sound like it's giving "fony crony" numbers again.
grin.gif

It would not surprise me if it was 2350-80 if you are using the Fed load which I believe is about 43.4gr of 4064. It goes about 2594 in my sons 20" tube. Dave could be right on though. The low number in my last test makes me want to say a little lower though.

The 2620 guess is based on my "dads" observations in the Striker, probably at 47gr too, not exactly what I found with the load I shot though. I think this 44gr load just tested in the Striker was going about 2580 in the 20" tube.

Denny just about nailed-it - they got 2382 fps for a ten-shot average with the 14 inch barrel, and accuracy of very near one inch at 100 yards.
I guess this information is very useful if you ever get the urge to shoot 168 match bullets at .30-30 velocity
grin.gif

Brent, not really a great back-up gun if one of those big furry Alaskan teddy-bears with the big toe-nails decides to have you for lunch - is it! I would take a bowling-ball cannon anyday, but only if you would pack it for me
smile.gif
You Alaskans do it right, those pictures of your New Years Day Shoot are the best!
(I really need to experience the firing of one of those babies! Hell, I would even set up my 35P's to do some downrange velocities, and make up a 1000-pound block of Poor Man's Ballistic Gel (mud) to shoot into. Not sure if 1000 pounds would be enough to stop one of those suckers!)

I'm really going to have to check this thing out closer now! I'll let you know what dads load was and how it does over the "Oehler" this time.

I can take a vidio of the bowling ball shootin but there's no sound on my little camera, just wouldn't be right without sound effects.
grin.gif

I'll stick to the "low brush grizzlies" (squirrels) with the Striker for now.
grin.gif
They still see it as a "big bore".
grin.gif

Poor mans ballistic gel!! Too funny!

BOY WAS I OFF ON THE VELOCITY.I HAVE WANTED A STRIKER AND COULD NOT DECIDE ON WHAT CHAMBERING.NOW I HAVE, 308 165 BT LOOKS TO ME LIKE I AM IN 300 SAVAGE VELOCITY RANGE.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.