Velocity for Accubonds?

texas270

Would some of the "Experience" on the board offer your thoughts for maximum effective range for 140 gr accubonds out of 270 Win for whitetails?

Is that determined primarily by bullet velocity, since there seems to be plenty of retained energy downrange? I read different opinions as to a minimim effective velocity for them. typically ranging from 1,800 fps to 2,000 fps, but some suggesting even higher.

My load starts about 3,120 fps and is at about 1,950 fps at 650 yards.

thanks in advance.

In my experience accubonds are a great close range bullet that are designed to hold together at higher velocities! But do not preform well at slower speeds. Which I think makes them a poor choice for longrange hunting! When I first started hunting long range I used accubonds out of my 300 win, shoot a wt buck at 600 yd and the bullet penciled right through with almost no expansion! Almost lost him! Excellent close range say 400 yds and in but I would never shoot one for longrange hunting again.

SB

I have not had a problem with Accubonds a extended ranges but if you stay within the
designed bullet velocity you should be OK because they are great bullets.

A lot of people recomend the High shoulder shot at long distance, and If you are going to use
one bullet that is sound advice.

The Accubond will work well if you are below the "1800 ft/sec" minimum if this shot placement
is used, at close ranges I would use the behind the shoulder shot with the Accubond.

I have used the Ballistic tip with great success at long distance but with the traditional PO Aim.

I use to have two different loads/Bullets before the Accubonds came out (Partitions to 400 yards
and Ballistic tips beyond) Using the behind the shoulder shot on everything.

Sometimes POI is just as or more important as bullet choice.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I used accubonds for a while before I started making my own bullets, and they were the reason that I did. Don't get me wrong, the AB's are fine if you keep the velocity up, but I didn't find them to be effective even at 2000' at times. I shot an elk with a 200 grain AB at 1025 yards out of a 30" barreled 300 RUM and the bullet had the tip blown off and retained the original diameter (no expansion) the impact velocity was close to 2000' as I recall. If I were hunting whitetails only, I would probably use the ballistic tips......Rich

Wow, that's cookin for a 270 Win! I'm right at 3100 out of my 270WSM with 140 Accubonds, but I'm not rompin on er too hard.

I absolutely love the Accubond, & highly recomend it to anyone who hunts from point blank to long range. For DEDICATED LR, & ELR ONLY there are better bullets, but for 0 to Long Range, or wherever that range crosses the 1800 fps barrier imo, you cannot convince me that there is a better allround hunting bullet made for spot & stock, & still hunting big game in the northwest.

My hunting style is spot & stock, & still hunting for big game in every kind of country the northwest offers. I've killed a bear at 27 yards with a bonded bullet, & dug it out of him. I've killed quite a few critters & never once had a "pencil" pass thru issue. I've crushed bone, & missed bone. I've taken severe quartering shots to broadside, & even head on shots. I hunt public land where there isn't always time to wait for that perfect broadside. I will always choose a bullet that can, & will get to, & thru the vitals at most any angle with propper shot placement.
For me long range with an Accubond, means wherever you cross that 1800 fps barrier. So to answer the O.P.'s question, yes, I'll gladly limit my range to that velocity so I can trust the terminal performance of my choice in bullet.

I'd be of a different opinion if I was shooting a dedicated LR to ELR ONLY rig.

It's inevitable that these threads turn into a ****ing match, between frags vs bonded, vs solids & someone always gets bent that his bullet isn't best, so ill just throw this out there.
Now before anybody jumps in all hot & bothered, I'm not condeming other manufacturers bullets for you, & your style of hunting, weather its different it the same as mine. I even enjoy reading the articles like Berger kills. I have a ton of respect for many who have posted on that thread. I have no reason to doubt that the frags do work at a veriety of ranges on a veriety of critters. I have stated that for Dedicated LR only, & ELR there are better bullets than the Accubond, like the Berger. I will not say frags won't work at close range, but many folks need to get off thier high horse & admit that many other bullets work at long range (within thier velocity window) too.
Is an Accubond at 1600 fps a better choice than a frag? No. Not imo.
Is a frag at modest range, & high velocity a better choice than a bonded bullet? No. Not imo.
Can they, will they, & have they worked outside thier optimum Windows? Yes. But there have also been absolute horror stories on both sides, when operating outside thier optimum windows.
I'm in agreement with JE about shotplacement being the ultimate factor in the outcome when bullets are pushed beyond thier optimum performance window. Many of these shots are risky at best, & you'd better know exactly what your doing.
IMO, from Muzle to 1800 fps here is no other choice for me personally than the Accubond. Very respectable B.C., Boat tail bullet with a ballistic tip helps retain energy, reduce drag, & initiate expansion at long range, & it doesn't have a velocity ceiling so even at point blank you can trust it to stay intact enough to do its job on some critter trying to eat you, which is important to some folks, like me, who enjoy chasing bears in thick brush to wide open cross canyon shots. Accubonds are tougher than a frag, softer than a solid. That is why it is my personal choice.
Your hunting style may differ, & range you intend to shoot, & terminal performance expectations may differ whole heartedly. I'm fine with that, as long as its a two way street of mutual respect of different styles, & opinion.
I'll readily admit that if I was limited to whitetails from up in a treehouse, to waaay accross some field, my choice would be frags, not bonded bullets.

Since this is a longrange hunting stie, I have admitted to this bullets shortcomings at long range, to ELR. If you hunt a veriety of tough critters, from point blank to long range, a different bullet will serve you better than someone who starts at 6-800 & shoots well beyond there.
It's too bad that many on the frag bandwagon can't admit or comprehend that thier bullet has limitations too. But that'd require admitting that penciling bonded bullets happen about as often as frags blowing up just under the skin, when used within thier optimum window. It does happen, but its a very very rare thing. The same folks tend to preach B.C. as king for a person who may or may not ever even get to 6-800 yards. Why?
LR doesn't have to mean 3/4 of a mile + for everybody. Use the bullet that fits the bill for the game, & distance you intend to shoot. Stay within its limits & be happy with your choice.

Edit:
P.S. rich, this post was not directed at you, or any other individual member. I was typing while yours posted, & had not read it yet. It was a general statement meant to encompass both sides of the argument.

Last edited:
Wow, that's cookin for a 270 Win! I'm right at 3100 out of my 270WSM with 140 Accubonds, but I'm not rompin on er too hard.

I absolutely love the Accubond, & highly recomend it to anyone who hunts from point blank to long range. For DEDICATED LR, & ELR ONLY there are better bullets, but for 0 to Long Range, or wherever that range crosses the 1800 fps barrier imo, you cannot convince me that there is a better allround hunting bullet made for spot & stock, & still hunting big game in the northwest.

My hunting style is spot & stock, & still hunting for big game in every kind of country the northwest offers. I've killed a bear at 27 yards with a bonded bullet, & dug it out of him. I've killed quite a few critters & never once had a "pencil" pass thru issue. I've crushed bone, & missed bone. I've taken severe quartering shots to broadside, & even head on shots. I hunt public land where there isn't always time to wait for that perfect broadside. I will always choose a bullet that can, & will get to, & thru the vitals at most any angle with propper shot placement.
For me long range with an Accubond, means wherever you cross that 1800 fps barrier. So to answer the O.P.'s question, yes, I'll gladly limit my range to that velocity so I can trust the terminal performance of my choice in bullet.

It's inevitable that these threads turn into a ****ing match, between frags vs bonded, vs solids & someone always gets bent that his bullet isn't best, so ill just throw this out there.
Now before anybody jumps in all hot & bothered, I'm not condeming other manufacturers bullets for you, & your style of hunting, weather its different it the same as mine. I even enjoy reading the articles like Berger kills. I have a ton of respect for many who have posted on that thread. I have no reason to doubt that the frags do work at a veriety of ranges on a veriety of critters. I have stated that for Dedicated LR only, & ELR there are better bullets than the Accubond, like the Berger. I will not say frags won't work at close range, but many folks need to get off thier high horse & admit that many other bullets work at long range (within thier velocity window) too.
Is a frag at modest range, & high velocity a better choice than a bonded bullet? No. Not imo.
Can they, will they, & have they worked outside thier optimum Windows? Yes. But there have also been absolute horror stories on both sides, when operating outside thier optimum windows.
I'm in agreement with JE about shotplacement being the ultimate factor in the outcome when bullets are pushed beyond thier optimum performance window. Many of these shots are risky at best, & you'd better know exactly what your doing.
IMO, from Muzle to 1800 fps here is no other choice for me personally than the Accubond. Very respectable B.C., Boat tail bullet with a ballistic tip helps retain energy, reduce drag, & initiate expansion at long range, & it doesn't have a velocity ceiling so even at point blank you can trust it to stay intact enough to do its job on some critter trying to eat you, which is important to some folks, like me, who enjoy chasing bears in thick brush to wide open cross canyon shots. Accubonds are tougher than a frag, softer than a solid. That is why it is my personal choice.
Your hunting style may differ, & range you intend to shoot, & terminal performance expectations may differ whole heartedly. I'm fine with that, as long as its a two way street of mutual respect of different styles, & opinion.
I'll readily admit that if I was limited to whitetails from up in a treehouse, to waaay accross some field, my choice would be frags, not bonded bullets.

Since this is a longrange hunting stie, I have admitted to this bullets shortcomings at long range, to ELR. If you hunt a veriety of tough critters, from point blank to long range, a different bullet will serve you better than someone who starts at 6-800 & shoots well beyond there.
It's too bad that many on the frag bandwagon can't admit or comprehend that thier bullet has limitations too. But that'd require admitting that penciling bonded bullets happen about as often as frags blowing up just under the skin, when used within thier optimum window. It does happen, but its a very very rare thing. The same folks tend to preach B.C. as king for a person who may or may not ever even get to 6-800 yards. Why?
LR doesn't have to mean 3/4 of a mile + for everybody. Use the bullet that fits the bill for the game, & distance you intend to shoot. Stay within its limits & be happy with your choice.

Edit:
P.S. rich, this post was not directed at you, or any other individual member. I was typing while yours posted, & had not read it yet. It was a general statement meant to encompass both sides of the argument.

Winmag....no offense whatsoever, in fact, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I do feel that 1800' is a bit optimistic, but that has just been my experience....Rich

Just as info to contribute. I did shoot two cull white-tail does last season, one at 425 yards and one at 472 yards. both were double lungs shots and both dropped in their tracks, so the Accubonds were working great at those distances.

Edit:

This is a very good post and says the truth in detail.

I use many different typs of bullets because of different hunting conditions and game and I find
the Accubond to be one of the most dependable and predictable If placed properly, for the game
and distance.

I have also had good experiences with other bullet typs and brands. There is no golden bullet that
will do everything so pick the bullet you need and like and stay within it's limits.

PS: After every bullet failure I have had close examination of the details,distance ,game ETC
the fault has been mine one way or another. Its easy to blame the bullet, load and rifle
combination but if everyone will man up this is the case 90% of the time.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.