Velocity for .243 cal

cornchuck

I have been shooting 58 gr. Vmax's out of my .243 and been pretty happy with them. I thought they might be coming out some what fast. So I used my chrono to see how fast. They average about 3600 fps out of a 26 inch barrel.

Is this too fast? Can these burn up my barrel faster by pushing them this fast? If you think I should stick with these, can I rely on these past 4-500 yards?

These are also coming out of a stock Rem barrel.

Jason

You can actually push them quit a bit faster, however you accuracy might suffer. I am pushing 55g noslers out of my .243 at 3800fps. I need to work them a little for accuracy purposes.

As far as barrel life, don't let your barrel over heat as this is the main culprit of barrel life.

Dan

+1.

Barrel heat and lack of cleaning contribute more to short barrel life than velocity of the bullet IMO.

a decent barrel should give you at least a few thousand rounds at 3600'/sec.
don't let it get so hot that you cant hold onto it, and try to clean good at least every 50 rounds. I did that with my old 220 Swift and got somewhere between 4500 and 5000 rounds through it before it needed another barrel. Most of it's bullets were going around 3600'/sec.

You may have to chase the throat as it erodes, but that will happen with any velocity. I've heard and read that 243's have a short throat life due to the case design.? I don't have personal experience on that matter however.

Last edited:
If your shooting a factory rem barrel its a 9.25 twist, way to fast for 55 and 58 grain bullets, they will shoot just fine and can be pushed to 4k fps but were designed to go through a 14 twist and I would only use them on pest to 500 yrds. I load 80grn nbt's in my rem 243 at 3420 and 95s at3140 and they do really well. A 243 will last quite a while but it is true that they are a little hard on the throat but its not because of the velocity, its the short neck.

I guess I should have been clearer. I have the 55g nosler load and it shoots ok, however that load is what I've been having my boys shoot as it has vertually no recoil out of my Rem 700VLS.

My chuck and target load is a 75g Sierra Hollowpoint Flat Base. I've shot a .27" group with it at 100yds. I also have taken chucks out to 600yds before. They are shooting at 3400fps.

The 55g bullets are really cool and fast, however I'm inclined to think that a 70-80g Varmit bullet is better as backwoods83 has stated.

Dan

Thanks for the information fellows. I usually don't let my barrels get to hot. My dad taught a trick when I was young. If you can hold your hand on the barrel for 15 seconds, it's good to shot. But I wait alittle longer. Plus I watch my round count during shooting strings. With my 243 and under calibers, I shoot 5 round strings. With my 308 it's 3 round strings. And I take my time between shots.

I have also been playing with 87 gr. Vmax's. Thought they would buck the wind better at longer ranges.

Thanks again for the info.

Jason

Jason,
I started out with the lower weight projectiles in my .243 also. They are fast and quiet terminal but I get a higher percentage of hits with the heavy weight (85-95gn) pills at longer ranges. They start out a little slower but still seem to out run "ye ole groundhog". I think they are superior over the light pills. JohnnyK.

I shoot the 55gr blitzking out of my .243 averaging 4040 fps. Bout as flat as it gets for pdog shooting. Hit hard out to 400 yds or more. I cant speak much for barrel life as of yet with only about 550 rounds through mine, just keep it cool and it should keep you smiling for some time.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts