Velocity differences with H-1000

Digger49r

Has anyone out there noticed a difference in velocities between the new H-1000 Extreme and the older version? I've been shooting a 220 MK with 91.5gr of H-1000 out of my 300 RUM Sendero sf.I recently loaded a box with the newer H-1000 and got an aprox. a 100fps more with the newer powder accompanied a sticky bolt,cratered primers....and yes lousy groups. To verify it was the powder I got 20 new cases and loaded 10 with both the H-1000 extreme..and 10 with the older version. The older version gave the same velocity I used to have....avg.2950fps....the newer extreme version 3140fps...and more of the same pressure signs. The Extreme version,by the way, has a very green tinge to the color. Has anyone else noticed this in their loads or did I get a bad batch?

Digger,
Yor not crazy. I've got both types of powder in my reloading room. Yes the H1000 non-extreme is different enough to warrant the std safety disclaimer to backoff and work up/down accordingly if your data was developed with the newer extreme rated powder. Have seen it before in my 338.
Also the real old original lots of H1000 were even slower yet, based on my experience.
I like the new extreme stuff in my 338 Yogi, but just don't mix the different "types" together.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts