Varmint trigger for a AR-15

Sounds like you want a good 2-stage with a light/predictable second stage break.

I'd suggest the SSA-E, or the Larue MBT.

For me I like the SSA-E's trigger face, the MBT seems to have a harder, but no-creep break.

I don't think you could go wrong with either and some practice.

I guess, when I need speed I want a single stage so I don't have the extra take up and travel to screw up when I'm not thinking.

When I shoot further out, I feel like I am less rushed and go through the mechanics better, like full take up of the first stage and then break the second.

Also, I'm not sure what the weight of an adjustable trigger would be, but my lightweight Hyperfire trigger or a geiselle 3 gun trigger is almost too light for hunting if you aren't going to shoot it a lot. I see a lot of people borrow other's AR's with the 3G trigger and I almost think that they are getting a slam fire when the second round goes off because the shooter isn't used to such a short reset and light trigger.

I am really surprised at the number of 4#+ recommendations. That heavy of a trigger in a varmint bolt gun wouldn't be acceptable. Why do ar guys want such a heavy trigger?

For the triggers I suggested that is total trigger weight of both stages. Most are 2-2.5 for second stage. For me it isn't so much the weight as it is a good clean break. I want a little more weight if I'm shooting with gloves.

I have a (CMC) Chip McCormick 2.5 on one of my ARs and POF 3.5 on all the others. It does not matter what the rifle is I can not feel the trigger if it has below 2.5 lb pull. I like to actually place my finger on the trigger and then with a slight squeeze it will trip. This happens at 2.5 lbs for me. My CMC averages 2.5 lbs right on the money. I had to borrow a trigger pull gauge to measure it. I have not measured my POFs but from my experience they are between 3 and 3.5 lbs. Both trigger makes are single stage and break like glass. I had to do a little polishing on one of the POFs though. It had a little grit/creep feel so I took it apart and used some crocus cloth and hit the engagements a couple times and then used some Mother's mag wheel polish on a Qtip to polish a little. Made it like the others crisp break.

I have a Jard and a Calvin Elite. I like them both.

I am really surprised at the number of 4#+ recommendations. That heavy of a trigger in a varmint bolt gun wouldn't be acceptable. Why do ar guys want such a heavy trigger?
Bolt Actions don't have a Bolt Carrier Group moving automagically. It's not that they want such a trigger, it's more that such a trigger is necessary to be safe. Can only go so low before it unintentionally goes full auto, and that pull weight is well above what is possible in a bolt action.

Spoken like someone that's never used a light ar trigger. You're implying that jewell and Geissele adjustable triggers are unsafe. I disagree.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts