Varmint trigger for a AR-15

Why would you bring up a 2oz trigger? That would be comparable to talking about a15lb trigger. Neither is realistic. my post simply asks the honest question of why 4#+ triggers are the norm in an ar platform while unacceptable in a bolt gun. I don't shoot any 2oz triggers but I don't like 4# triggers.

I'm not implying a danged thing, you're putting words in my mouth. I already mentioned that I own light AR triggers.
I am saying that a trigger weight that is perfectly safe in a bolt action may not be in an auto and that the finite lower limit for what is safe in an auto is well above the lower safe limit for a bolt action. Doesn't matter what is acceptable to the shooter, the mechanics of the action define what is safe and what is not. That a builder would choose a 9 lbs trigger for a varmint build is silly, but I know that it happens. Part of that is the confusing array of products on the market combined with some vendors not being very clear about which trigger should be chosen.

Spoken like someone that's never used a light ar trigger. You're implying that jewell and Geissele adjustable triggers are unsafe. I disagree.

All of that said, I like the Jard and the Calvin Elite, so I'll suggest those for a light trigger varmint AR build.

I have a Geissele SSA-E in my varmint AR-15 and love it. I also have a TriggerTech Special in a bolt gun and that trigger is fantastic so I'm about to order a TriggerTech for my 6.5 CM AR-10 to see how it compares to the Geissele.

There aren't many AR triggers under 3.5 lbs. I'm a big fan of budget triggers like the Rise RA140 (I think) and the Larue MBT. They are both pretty nice but cheap. You can easily spend twice as much without getting an appreciably better trigger. There are some nicer triggers. I have an Elftmann which I like a lot and I would like to try a Triggertech Diamond.

I have shot a few Giselle triggers and I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe their $250 triggers are better but I think a Larue MBT is just as good as their $180 stuff but you can get the MBT for $90.

I have a CMC and it is fine but you can get better value today.

I have an RRA 2 stage and i don't like it. It has a reputation for wearing out after 2-3,000 rounds. The Larue MBT is made with better materials and feels better so I dont think there is any reason to buy an RRA.

Triggers are a pretty subjective thing. But take anyone who has only experienced your basic mil-spec trigger and put them on just about ANY after market trigger and they will immediately feel the difference. Where to go from there becomes difficult because as mentioned, trigger feel and preference is highly subjective. Having said that, there's a reason the Gissele SSA-E has been mentioned several times in this thread, it's a fantastic 2-stage trigger if a 2-stage trigger is your cup of tea ... though it is pricey. TriggerTech's zero creep, light and perfectly crisp break is something to experience if you haven't, I can't wait to put one in my AR-10.

I have had the older Jewell, Have a Geissele (SSA-E) and now have several Trigger Tech Diamonds. Since I'm mainly a bolt guy I have to say that nothing I have ever used comes close to the Trigger Tech Diamond. It feels more like a good bolt gun trigger than any of the others.

I have an MBT on my "long range " AR and it is a versatile trigger. Its the first 2 stage I've used and I had zero issues adapting to it. It's all about proper trigger technique. If you spend time dry firing any trigger you will be able to shoot accurately, unless it's weight is ridiculously heavy. An expensive high tech trigger is no cure for the shooters poor technique.

Yep, I think if if an MBT isn't a good enough trigger for you in an AR, there might be nothing out there to help you because the difference between drop-in "match" triggers isn't very much. It's not like going from a 3.5 lb Timney trigger to a 2 oz benchrest trigger, it's more like going from 3.5 lb to 2.5 lb.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.