Varmint Rifle

Why do you choose the tikka over the remington? And how did you know that I was also considering the t3? I really liked the 700 but from the articles I've read at this site remington is loosing there reputation for quality guns. The tikka doesn't offer much for customizing down the road and that is one turn off. But from what I'm reading, it doesn't need much customizing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In God I Trust!

You could just get a Sako, and have the best "out of the box" hunting rifle,(in it's class) in the world.
wink.gif
FWIW..sakofan....

Targetbuster ,
I've had Sako and Remington .
If you want a rifle that might shoot well out of the box and will shoot well once you blueprint and rebarrel go Remington . Why bother buying new though ? Would be better to pick up a good action and start from scratch .
If you want a rifle that had the quality control done at the factory then go with the Tikka .
wink.gif

Aussie,

if you want a rifle to work on, to customize, get the Remington.

To get a rifle that's "right" out of the box, get the Sako.

I think we are saying the same thing, right?
wink.gif

No slam meant on Rems!! I love them. But, Sako's are better quality off the rack. I don't think that statement can be argued successfully.

I think I've made up my mind between the two. I'm about 95% sure about the Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless. Instead of 308 I'm going to try to find one in 7mm-08. If I can't get one ordered in that caliber then I will go back with the 308. One question about the Tikka though, is the action beded into the stock? I can't find anywhere stating that it is. Information would be greatly appreciated. If it is then I will be sold on the tikka. I've never owned a sako made gun but I have shot a few. I think I will give one a try.

In God I Trust!

Sakofan ,
Sorry if I was being a bit cryptic .
What I was hinting at was that I've had a bad experience with a Remington VSSF and that I wasn't impressed with having to do Remington's quality control for them eg. rebarrel , blueprint action and repair the (as issued) hairline cracks in the HS stock . I bought the rifle with 60 shots through it so couldn't claim warranty .
At the end of the day I doubt that Remington would have considered it's 1.25 MOA accuracy as being bad enough to justify a rebarrel under warranty anyway .
My experience with Sakos is that they do their quality control checks before the rifle leaves the factory rather than relying on their customers to do it .
Some of the sad Q.C. stories you read on the net from Winchester and Remington owners leave me cold (and I've got one of each).
frown.gif

I'm new here and will probably be chastized for posting this but do you really consider the 308 as a varmit cartridge?

I have used everything from .17 cal [not rimfire] thru .375 on varmits.They will all kill but once you start using large caliber light weight bullets the velocity goes away pretty quick as does the effective range.

I'm one of those old guys with old technology but the old gun [25+years] will do anything that what is availiable today will do.Weighs 11 1/2 pounds but I can still carry it.

It started life as a custom 243 Win built on a 1909 Argentine 98 Mauser action,Canjar set trigger,28" Hart 1 1/8" stainles barrel and 12 Leupold with 1/8 min dot.20 yrs ago it was rebored and rechambered to 257 Wby.It will shoot "any" 25 cal bullet from 87gr Hornady spire point thru 120gr Nosler solid base boat tail 1/2 MOA or better.This rifle and my Ruger 77V in 220 Swift,and Sako L46 in 17/222 are my defination of a varmit rifle.Maybe not yours.To each his own.

Happy varmiting.
smile.gif

[ 10-29-2004: Message edited by: Heavy Barrel ]

I've handled the 700 VSF, but havne't shot one. I am a big fan of the Remington 700 series. Needless to say I really want a VSF, need to see if it's available in .25-06.

OV ... A big advantage to the Rem 700 is the variety of stocks and barrels available for it, from Remington and the aftermarket.

as has been stated,..the rem700 action is a superb platform for a build-up and the sako is a great "as is" rifle. That being said,..and heavy barreled rem after being trued up, and having the action face squared, lug shoulder squared, skim bedded etc will shoot every bit as well as a sako (at least mine do). Now,..at which point have you spent more money to get the same groups? that is the deciding factor. I got my sako L691 actions NIB in the white, for $350each, so they were a considerable deal,..but I can't see my buying a new sako when I can start with a used 700rem action and skip the barrel I am going to toss away anyhow. Even a sako barrel wouldn't remain on my customs,...there are too many better barrels than factory barrels.

If you want to get in cheaper,..the heavy 700rems are the benchmark. If you want to get a shooter with little or no tweaking, you may wish to stay with sako. If you plan on consulting a LR gunsmith,..then go rem700 (cheaper aftermarket parts and more of them)

JMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.