Varmint Rifle

...rem 700 is by far the most popular...on average, the older actions are preferred over the newer ones... I would start with a new Rem vls and go from there...will give you a chance to shoot immediately and maybe begin upgrading project in the off season... thanks

If you are buying it for the action only, then I would buy an ADL, junk the rest and build up from there. That will save you a little money over a Sendero or VLS.

i agree with chris remington makes an awesome action and rifle. I have a .308 700 and it shoots flawless. Chris mathews do you no where one could get a varmit stock for a bull barrel to fit a adl?

Old Varmint, I just bought a .308 Rem. VSLH for just such a purpose.

But after shooting it today, I might have to suffer awhile longer and keep it stock!! Holy cow!! Under a 1/2" moa at 100 yards, out of the box. Suits me. It can only get better!!...Check them out..sakofan..
wink.gif

Thanks guys, what you have said has confirmed my gut feeling, will look for a model 700 ADL in good condition. My gunsmith has worked on 700s, model 70s, Sako's & weatherby's so should not be a problem. Will only choose one of the others if I can't find a decent 700.

Murray

doesnt realy matter what kind of shape its in if you are going to rebarrel ... so many new coatings and such it might save you a little money to get a rough one .. sandblast it and coat it with a do it yourself duracoat or something like it..... good luck
Brien

Old Varmint - Any of the mentioned actions will work great. We have had really good luck with the Howa barrelled actions and they are priced right.

Longrangegunner52 - me and my shooting buddies have a number of the Boyd laminated stocks and like them very much - boydboys.com

Thanks for all the replies guys, you have certainly helped me make up my mind, looks like I was thinking along the right lines anyway.

Best Wishes

Murray
smile.gif

availability is going to be a big factor too. If you get Savage, they make a wide variety of styles and most shoot very well out of the box. Well priced too. With a growing aftermarket, they can be worked up as easily as a Rem 700.

I had a 6BR based on a Savage action and it was one of the most consistent and accurate rifles I have ever had the pleasure of owning/shooting.

Howas, Win make very nice rifles too. I build a lot on surplus actions and favor the Enfield P14/17 actions. Very strong and surprisingly very accurate. Lots of parts to convert to modern function.

Of course, the M98/M48 Mauser is also a possibility. Many were converted to BR rifles before "modern" actions were readily available. I have owned and shot others that would all do 1/4 to 1/2 MOA. Certainly good enough to pop a varmint at long range.

Enjoy your quest...

Jerry

Target buster,

If you want a 308 for varminting, check out Wildcat bullets, they offer a 68 gr flat based HP that has a B.C. similiar to a 125 gr B. Tip.

Richard Grave, the owner of Wildcat Bullets told me he is getting +3800 fps with this new bullet out the 308 Win and getting near 1/2 moa groups as well.

IF your interested let me know and I will get you his e-mail address. DO not have it right now or I would just post it.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.