varmint rifle????

japple

So as a bowhunter almost exclusively I don't know a whole lot about rifles and such, I haven't seriously shot rifles in about ten years. So I really don't know what is the good product or new rounds now. What I am looking for is a rifle that I can go out and shoot coyotes and other varmints with out to about 500 yards if I want to. I have narrowed things down to either a .243 wssm or a 25 wssm or a 22.250. does any one have any opinions on these three or any other suggestions about what I should be looking for. Brands and model suggestions are welcome too.
thanks

You're asking a very broad question. One which will get a variety of answers I'm sure.

Since your question was very basic I'm going to assume you are looking for something basic and straight forward. IMHO I would forego the speed advantage of the WSSM and get something in standard .243 Winchester. If the Rem 6mm was as popular as the standard 243 that easily would be my suggestion but it's not and you can pretty much always find some sort of 243 ammo. The 22-250 is a great round but I think the 243 for what you are describing would possible be a better choice.

your correct I want something straight forward. On the other hand I want something that I won't want to upgrade six months down the road. I like to spend money once. my archery habit is expensive enough I don't want to be buying three rifles a year like I do bows. what is the advantage of the standard 243 over the other rounds I said besides availability. and tell me about the 6mm, I am unfamiliar with that round.
thanks for your help

The 6mm Rem is the 57mm Mauser case necked down to .244. Similar in design to the .257 Roberts. It runs about 100-200fps faster than a standard .243. Early models were built with a slow rate of twist that wouldn't stabilize bullets over about 80gr, These were labeled .244 Rem. Remington intended the round for varmint use originally. Winchester used a faster twist and the .243 was mare suitable for deer sized game as larger bullets were better stabilized and more accurate.
In Ackley improved form the 6mm approaches WSSM specs. Case life is good, and even better with the Ackley version.
Good round that offers superior performance on everything from chucks and 'yotes to whitetails and mulies if you get the faster twist barrel.

+1 on the 243, easy to reload. if your looking to reload, lots of choices,,,Sierra has 13 bullet choices in 243 alone from 55gr to 107grMatchking with 4 of them Varminter. What type of rifle are you thinking about and any particular price limit?

thanks jamie. that sounds very close to what I am looking for. any idea what a decent gun can be had for. probably will buy a used gun. I don't need anything really high end just something that I will be happy with for a long time. I am not opposed to upgrading components where needed either.

thanks for the reply. would look to stay around 500 to 700 dollars. I am really liking the input regarding the 243 and 6mm. 243 was honestly my last choice but am getting good feedback about it and the 6mm has really peaked my interest. right now I don't have any reloading supplies but when I purchase a rifle I will deffinately start to load my own.

so now I have settled on a 6mm. And am thinking of doing a build up so I can get exactly what I want. Where do I start? And what specific 6mm round do I go with since there is a huge variety? Lets here some more input. Thanks guys.

IMO if you go 6mm do it in a long action. They don't feed real well in a short action. I have a 22-6mm TTH in a short action and it is more or less a single shot now. When the barrel is shot out I'll switch it over to a 22-243 Middlestead

My only concern with doing a 6mm would be long term brass availability and the quality of available brass is not very good.

I think it's interesting how a slight screw up on Remingtons part changed the course of time. I truely believe had Remington gone with a faster twist in their original 6mm the 243Win would have been greatly overshadowed by the 6 and the 6mm would have been the household name the 243 is.

my understanding was lapua made quality 6mm brass at a good price. Am I wrong?
No you're not, if you can find it.
But remember, it's based on the 57mm Mauser case, so you have many options you can start with and tweak. Like necking down the .257 Roberts or necking down 7x57 etc.
Personally I would go with the Ackley 40* shoulder version.
Once you are done fireforming the case, life is excellent. 10-12 loadings is not uncommon. If you can get .257R +P cases from Winchester the life will be extended as well.
Dies are going to be expensive as they must be custom, but RCBS and Redding make them. I would start at Graf & Sons.
I found my 6.5x.257Roberts Ackley dies in stock there.
As for actions, any mil-surp Mauser action accepts the 6mm easily if you want to do this cheaply.

No you're not, if you can find it.
But remember, it's based on the 57mm Mauser case, so you have many options you can start with and tweak. Like necking down the .257 Roberts or necking down 7x57 etc.
Personally I would go with the Ackley 40* shoulder version.
Once you are done fireforming the case, life is excellent. 10-12 loadings is not uncommon. If you can get .257R +P cases from Winchester the life will be extended as well.
Dies are going to be expensive as they must be custom, but RCBS and Redding make them. I would start at Graf & Sons.
I found my 6.5x.257Roberts Ackley dies in stock there.
As for actions, any mil-surp Mauser action accepts the 6mm easily if you want to do this cheaply.

thanks again jaime. Is that the 6mmAI you were referring to? What other actions do you suggest? I want a quality rifle but don't want to shell out a grand for an action either.

Since you are talking custom build, My vote would be for a 243 AI. This comes from a hard core 6mm Rem shooter. Brass availibility is a very real concern. If you want a hot rod, go with a 6x284.

Barrels - for long range do not go less than 1:10 twist. If you want to shoot the 115 grs VLD bullets, you will need a 1:8 twist.

Since you are talking custom build, My vote would be for a 243 AI. This comes from a hard core 6mm Rem shooter. Brass availibility is a very real concern. If you want a hot rod, go with a 6x284.

Barrels - for long range do not go less than 1:10 twist. If you want to shoot the 115 grs VLD bullets, you will need a 1:8 twist.
I was looking at a 1:9 twist. what I am looking for specifically is a rifle that will make long range shots well. out to 500 to 600 yards. the rifle will be used mostly for target shooting and coyotes. but I have preference points for a mule deer hunt so it needs to be able to do that as well. I want something that is fun to shoot with little recoil. I considered a 6.5x257 as well. I don't want something that is overkill for the coyotes and but will do a good job on deer as well. is there anything I am missing that fits the bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.