Varmint rifle gophers/dogs

MTNRaine

I'm lookin for a good rifle for dogs/gophers 223 is my cal. of choice, but i'm stuck between a lefty remmy sps or a savage model 12 lefty. Any opinions are appeciated. I'm new to this site and I really enjoy your guy's advice.
gun)

. Any opinions are appeciated.

Ok, you asked for it!:) Ok, if I was to pick one out for varmints. By dogs do you mean prairie dogs, or coyotes?

I would find a Savage with a 1-9" twist. Something with a little heavier than normal barrel, not sporter weight. What model you pick depends on your pocket book. I am not a fan of their plastic stock models, so I would get either a laminate, or a fiberglass stock (H-S prescision) like on their Long range prescision varminter.

Then if I had $320 bucks left over, I would get a Weaver 6-24x42 with varmint dot (and keep the reciept). Burris signature Zee rings positioned to give me more up elevation on a weaver style base. Thats just what I would do.

Good varmint gun

I mean coyotes and i have a leupold 4.5 x 14 VXIII to put on it.
gun)

Here you go lefty:cool:,Model 12 Varminter Low Profile Left Hand

12Varminter.jpg

Topped off with that Leupy would make one sweet killing machine.

I would also go with the savage. If you're like me and enjoy switching things around, you'll be happy you can switch the bolt face and barrel yourself. Who know's what you'll be into in a couple years? That said there's still something special about the remington action that you cant replace. I guess it's just what I grew up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts