Varmint Bullets...and more

jmm449

What kind of loads would you recommend for shooting groundhogs, coons, etc. with using a .243? I have a Remington 700BDL which I believe has a 1 in 9" twist rate. Right now I've got some 55 grain Noslers waiting for the snow to thaw here in warm & sunny PA. Just contemplating my next load project. So far it's looking like CT (Combined Technology) 55 grains, Barnes VLC 55-65 grain, or Hornady V-Max in 65-75 grain.

Also, your thoughts on Moly and other coatings? I plan to shoot no more than 500 rounds this summer, so nothing like what most of you are used to. (Darn student loans sure do cut into hunting funds...)

Last but not least, I plan to use this same gun to get another deer next season. What 243 bullets are prefered for that task? I used CT 95 grain last month and the bullet blew apart rather quickly, though I admit the range of about 10 yards was somewhat close. Thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

Jim

We use either Matchkings, or A-MAX bullets. The match bullets work.
smile.gif

The 105 A-max will work in a 1/9 twist, however I really like the 75 grain, and 87 grain V-MAX for varmit work.
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.