• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Varget at midway

I've been looking for IMR 4166 for months?? I only need a pound or 2, but even 8 pounders are nowhere to be found?? I knda wish they'd never started Gun Broker! Give scalpers a place to market thru the internet and they'll buy up everything a hand loader needs.
I've been thinking the same thing about gunbroker!

Me neither. I have it on my wish list, but not notified. I see that Cheaper than Dirt has brought there 5.56 ammo down to a $1.00 each. Still way to high. Must be that they are not selling to much of it. When and if it get back to $0.30 per round that about fair price. Around Christmas time the prices go down.

Well... It's people stocking up but also it's people that are looking to grab it all before actual handloaders get a chance and then to sell it at scalping prices on Gunbroker.

When I have found powder I need, I get just a pound. No need to be greedy. Although one time I did buy 2lb of a pistol powder I haven't had in a long, long time.
MZ powders (like Blackhorn) are just non-existent at this point. Really, who stockpiles synthetic blackpowder?
You can just watch the powders disappear one by one off the refreshed page.

I
I knda wish they'd never started Gun Broker! Give scalpers a place to market thru the internet and they'll buy up everything a hand loader needs.
+1. If all hand loaders boycotted buying components at high prices then so called scalpers would be on the hook with a bunch of product they couldn't sell and the next time maybe they'd think twice before buying up everything and anything unless they personally need it.

I'm in the UK and not at the moment having any problems with consumables,is the problem in the US covid 19 or is there another reason?Can I expect the shortage to reach here in the near future?

I've been tracking the discord notifications for awhile, best way to get powder and primers.

discord.com/reloading (follow the setup instructions for notifications)

As soon as there's a discord notification, so many people go for it that it often crashes the seller's website. Many have rebuilt their websites to handle the volume. Recob is rebuilding theirs right now. If you're not fast on the draw right when the discord notification hits you usually have no chance. Hoarders are probably still one of the big problems. However I've noticed over the past few weeks that powder availability is improving. Much more coming in stock daily, and not always selling out in seconds (partly because of the 1 pound limit, etc). Looks like they're starting to catch up. I've managed to get the powder I needed (TAC, Varget, H4350, N340, N32C, Zip, Bullseye) over the last few weeks but it was generally not cheap, and a lot of work and frustration. If you can wait a few weeks or perhaps a couple months, you may be able to avoid the extra hazmat/shipping costs of individual small buys due to limited rationing (eg buying 1 pound at a time). Primers are lagging way behind powders of course, with very little becoming available. I did finally score 1000 small rifle primers this week, but only out of sheer luck. A new company able to successfully get into the primer manufacturing business would be very popular right now! My frustration is reloading dies for 7.5 Swiss. BTW, there is a ton of useful info on the reloading discord, reddit group links, etc, while you're waiting for a notification to hit. You can set up notifications for ammo, firearms, casting and reloading equipment, brass, etc. Wishing the best for all.

I'm in the UK and not at the moment having any problems with consumables,is the problem in the US covid 19 or is there another reason?Can I expect the shortage to reach here in the near future?
There aren't millions of new gun owners in the UK demanding ammunition so unless the "consumables" are made in the USA, I don't think you will be facing the same issues we are. But I'm pretty sure you will be paying more. . .

Last edited:
Never could understand the "hoarders" hoarding during the highest prices now. You "hoard" or stock up when prices are low, then you are not in need when prices are high. Kinda like the stock market....buy low...not high. I understand not everyone can buy enough components for a few years but at least get what you can when prices are low.

Paulstarr:

What 37L1 said: during the course of our. last election, several million new gun owners came into existence, all of them (of course) clamoring for at least one or two boxes of ammo for their new firearm.

This is the worst I have ever seen it as far as ammunition and reloading components go. Never have I seen dies in almost every single caliber (even seldom heard of or even known calibers) be out of stock. I know there are a lot of new gun owners and the current administration and some states are wanting to be douche bags with gun laws, but I think that there's more to it than that. I can't help but think that gun grabbing politicians and guns/ammo/component makers aren't somehow in cohoots with one another. Politicians probably have stock in the companies, so they threaten a ban, people panic buy, and the manufacturers and politicians make bank. It may not be as far fetched as it sounds.