Varget and retumbo powder

this powder shortage crap forced me to look at other powder in approx. same burning range as ones I couldn't find, LOT's of 'em out there. For example, I now use 8208xbr in .308 and dam glad I tried it ! If you MUST have it, then the price is "ok".

It's high for sure.. but what isn't anymore? Depends on what it's worth for you to shoot .3" groups or 1" groups. If you don't have to pay the hazmat fee.. buy some up. If you do have to pay the hazmat fee.. buy in bulk to spread it out over the lot.

Last time I bought Retumbo I paid 25 bucks for a pound and Varget was about the same. Everything associated with reloading has skyrocketed and has become hard to find, so I guess its just a matter of how bad you want/need it.

$38 a lb is BS. It's flat out gouging due to supply conditions. I have a good shop near me where I have very recently bought Varget and Retumbo for $26/lb. Safe to say that extra $12/lb is going right to your crappy local store owner.

If you need it, buy it, but don't forget about how they are treating you when you need new gear....

If you are of the activist persuasion write a letter to Hodgdon and narc those gougers. Something like "Shame on you Hodgdon. I went to buy powder at XYZ guns and saw you raised powder to $38/lb. I'm never buying your powder again" might be effective.

Its BS and I'm tired of it - they are free to charge what they want but we as consumers also have the right to make them see the consequences - both on the retail and supply side...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.