VAP TKO Broadhead insert problems

mwkelso

Wondering if anyone has had like issues with this arrow and insert combination. Some are shearing off inside the target, others are bending, some are staying true (for now).

Target: Murrell Yellow Jacket
Arrows: VAP TKO Elite 300 cut to 30"
Bow: PSE Omen Pro (2007), 74#, 29-1/2" DL

The bow was just tuned when I bought the arrows, and the paper looked perfect after tuning.

9EF2307C-6017-42CA-851B-76B1A5CAF84A.jpeg
C285812D-DC2A-44F6-BC50-97B7FE03CA33.jpeg
B1762CDF-1FEA-4ABA-A6B3-D9E5517BF33F.jpeg

Bottom image is comparing a bent insert to a straight.

Only issue I had was a couple pulled out of arrow so had to buy replacements and glued them in better. Could be when you pull them out of target? I had a morrel target that was tough to get arrows out of.

Only issue I had was a couple pulled out of arrow so had to buy replacements and glued them in better. Could be when you pull them out of target? I had a morrel target that was tough to get arrows out of.
That could be part of it... they do like to grab the target with that lip on their way out for sure.
I asked one of the archery shops here locally, they suggested changing to the SS inserts for higher strength. They said the aluminum inserts are prone to bending

I do. It like the stock inserts. I switch them out for the ethics insert and sleeve combo. They are stronger and protect the arrow better if you come into contact with something hard.

Did you have the shop cut an glue them or do your own? I'd try switching to the SS inserts if you can and a slow cure adhesive like insert iron.

Any outsert won't take lateral force. A bag target provides tremendous lateral force as the internals are a mess of material. Not to mention pulling them with any kind of lip (outsert or field point)

I personally shoot TKO Elites, however, I use Easton HIT inserts and an Iron Will 25 gr Collar. You won't break that!

Otherwise, a simple change of a non bag target would probably eliminate most of your issue. However, that same lateral force happens when shooting animal. Something to think about.

Steve

Kept bending those on my Victory Vaps. Switched to ethics archery outserts and haven't had a problem since. Can adjust weight of insert and the collars really stiffen the front up.

Check out the Victory Vap Shok Taper Lock inserts. I have used those before and they're pretty good. I've also used the Ethics Archery system and like them as well. Only thing with the Ethics is that you might have to lightly sand your shafts for it to fit. The Victory Shok inserts don't need to be modified.

Any outsert won't take lateral force. A bag target provides tremendous lateral force as the internals are a mess of material. Not to mention pulling them with any kind of lip (outsert or field point)

I personally shoot TKO Elites, however, I use Easton HIT inserts and an Iron Will 25 gr Collar. You won't break that!

Otherwise, a simple change of a non bag target would probably eliminate most of your issue. However, that same lateral force happens when shooting animal. Something to think about.

Steve
Thanks, Steve.
I changed to one of the foam blocks, but will still change the style of insert as well.

Just go to Day Six Inserts or Ethics archery so you are running a insert with a sleeve and you have the option to use aluminum or stainless and some are titanium. You won't have those issues! .166 is tough deal to find components most people end up with a .204 diameter for this reason! You can make it work though for sure!

Day six, iron will and ethics archery all make great solutions. I hate factory outserts and half outs..they always end up bent after shooting for a few months. One reason I went to the rip tko elite to get brass hit inserts and iron will collars and a good balance of strength and diameter.
The iron will snyder core is the only thing I would use if I had to use micro diameter again. Glad I don't have to.

Day six, iron will and ethics archery all make great solutions. I hate factory outserts and half outs..they always end up bent after shooting for a few months. One reason I went to the rip tko elite to get brass hit inserts and iron will collars and a good balance of strength and diameter.
The iron will snyder core is the only thing I would use if I had to use micro diameter again. Glad I don't have to.
Exactly! Are they standard thread or deep 6? I keep meaning to research these!