Vanguard Sub MOA Varmit

Nomosendero

I have been looking at getting a 308 & using it to gain more & more trigger time as I am doing now with my 223, I am trying to prolong my Sendero's I guess, but I think another high volume gun but bigger than the 223 would be helpful. Anyway, I have been looking at getting a Sav. 10FP with the McMillan & may still. But in looking at options I
noticed the Vanguard Sub MOA Varmit in 308. It has a well shaped stock (by picture anyway) & the price is roughly $200.00 less than the Savage. That is well & good if it will work & no good if it won't. I want the gun to shoot
1/2MOA or so for a ways with 175MK or 178V-Max if possible.
I like the barrel change feature of the Sav, but I can do another later if this gun would work.
1. Is the rifle capable of this kind of accuracy with minor tuning such as skim bedding?
2. Will the trigger adjust enough & be crisp?
3. Are the basic features like the bull barrel quality, recoil lug & other basics acceptable.
4. This barrel is 22". Will this be long enough to work at 1,000yds. with the above mentioned bullets in warm but safe loads?

Gentlemen, what do you think?

Having owned both guns and built on both guns I would go with the Savage , out of the box accuracy will more than likly be better and if not its a simple and pretty cheap job to change barrels.
The McMillan stock on the Savage is a great addition , their are alot of good after market parts for the Savage now and when you decide to rebarrel you can have it setup like the Rem 700 with no nut.

The Howa actions are great to build on as they are very stiff , pretty **** strait for a factory gun , the bolt comes with a M-16 style extractor andthe stocks are ok but from the Vanguards I've shot an seen shot most will hold under 1 moa with reloads but in my oppinion the barrelsare more accurate on the Savage

Yes, I have known that for years, but what I did not know is
the Howa Supreme Varmiter has a 24" tube, whereas the Vanguard MOA Var. has a 22" & I would rather have the 24".
Also, the Lam. Thumbhole looks good on the Howa. I have heard however that both have metric barrel threads & I don't know how big a problem that will be when it comes time to change barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.